I gave Dom my card, and thought it was polite of a twittering Valley insider to come all the way to Florida to sprinkle technology on those of us living on the edge of the universe. I honestly never expected anything to come of the conversation though.
A few weeks later, thanks to Dom’s introduction, I found myself at a meeting with Carlos Icaza in the lobby of a Miami Beach hotel. He showed me an iPhone simulator running the “Fishies” demo app, and the simple code that made it work. “This looks like ActionScript.” I told Carlos, having never seen Lua code before. “This runs on the iPhone?”
When I got home, I knew that even with my Flash expertise, there was another guy in town far more talented in both art and code — Todd Williams of HD Interactive. I made a deal with the guys at HDI that we’d start a new company to sell apps and mobile games. A few days later, reallyMedia LLC was formed and registered with Apple. The whole experiment was driven by the idea that some guy named Carlos and his partner Walter had some idea of what they were doing (we hoped!).
We got an initial build, and those were fun days. Knowing my students struggled with the oddball “bitmap in a movie clip in a graphic” broken English of Flash, I would e-mail suggestions to Walter and Carlos for naming the new functions in what would become Corona SDK.
It wasn’t love at first sight, though. As longtime Flash people, both Todd and I opened the build we were sent from Walter with a bit of “uh, now what?” No timeline. No drawing tools. No visual way to open a project in the thing called rttplayer (you may know it as The Simulator now). No, well, anything! Just cryptic instructions to run from Terminal once we were done in a text editor.
We got past the command-line throwback and thought about some logical first things to try. Experience in early Flash and even Director helped, and we started some basic tests like “press a button to make a box move.” We then progressed into making a slider puzzle. We had a basic feature set, but it was clear immediately that Corona was much easier to learn than XCode.
Of course, one big thing was missing; well, many big things, but the one we couldn’t do without was a Build function. We had to e-mail the folder, zipped, to Walter. He would do whatever it was that Corona actually did and then send us back a binary file to put on our phones. Walter was, effectively, the first server at the company.
We progressed quickly, pushing the two-man startup as fast as they could support us. We needed text fields or we couldn’t display a score on the screen. We needed sound or, well, every game has sound doesn’t it? My team and I traded points of hope, optimism, and despair rather frequently about early Corona. We were going out on a limb and creating the first game ever made with the software. Our first game was being developed with no knowledge — and only mixed confidence — that Apple would approve the entire idea of building games with this new Lua SDK.
We needed a very simple concept, so my business partner, Sean Carey, suggested making a game for his two year old. We called it tapDots, a connect-the-dots game that plays little chimes. Todd pulled out some old Flash tricks to make tapDots with this early version of Corona. There was no tweening, so instead of fading in a number, he used a sequence of images. It scrambled Walter’s early roadmap and it took some convincing, but tapDots did release with sound too.
With the knowledge that tapDots did, in fact, get approved by Apple for sale we immediately looked towards creating another game that would push Corona a little further than a toddler audience.
Next Week: The Birth of Corona – Part II
Posted by Hetal. Thanks for reading...