We just got word from our buddies at Yobonja that Blast Monkeys has now passed 3 million downloads across iOS and Android!

This comes less than four weeks after it passed 2 million downloads (which was exactly three weeks after they passed 1 million), and a couple weeks after they hit the #1 spot in the Android Market — where they haven’t budged from in two weeks!

This brings the total number of Corona SDK apps downloaded this year to *drumroll*
18 million downloads! :-o

Details from Yobonja via the screenshot below…

…Think we can hit 20 million downloads before the end of summer? ;-)

10 Responses to “‘Blast Monkeys’ top 3 million downloads, still #1”

1. Jonathan Beebe

Wow, what an awesome achievement. Congratulations to the folks @ Yobonja — Great job :-)

2. Dan

Congrats. That’s something to be proud of. But on the other hand I find it hard to get excited by a free app getting any number of downloads. If an app is a dollar or two, or even three, well, that would get me excited.

Now I’m really, really sorry. I know we’re not supposed to share our thoughts unless the thoughts are overly positive. But I just can’t help myself. And just once, I’d love to see one of these posts with a picture of the developer standing next the the new Ferrari that was purchased with his/her app’s profits.

3. Noah

@Dan
    I don’t think you’re being negative, I think you’re being realistic and I share your feeling.

This is not a Corona thing but an industry thing. I am discouraged that all we here about are free apps. I mean with all these free apps, is anyone going to pay for them anymore?

I have a day job, 2 kids and make my apps on my free time. I love it but I would love to make some real money from my apps so that I could make that my full time job. Wouldn’t we all? I am beginning to think this is impossible.

It’s hard enough to make money from a $0.99 App. If everyone is throwing free Apps up there, what’s the point?

Is it rude to ask How much revenue Yobonja has generated by hitting this milestone of 3 million downloads?

4. Mark

I was wondering myself what the point is of releasing a free game unless the free game has ads to generate some revenue for the developers. But I think ads really take away from the experience. I don’t think I would ever release a free game unless there was some other promotional reason to doing so. I would consider doing so if there was another monetization strategy involved with it, such as offering the game for free but also offering a game store within the game to purchase items or other content, or maybe to increase awareness of the company and other games that are paid, but otherwise seems kind of pointless.

5. Truth

Something very sick and twisted happened to the price of apps.

Sure you can bang out a piece of junk pretty quick, but creating a decent game takes time and is quite a project between music, graphics, and coding. Reasonably speaking, you should be able to price that app at $5 (I can just hear all of the people screaming in horror now), but somehow, you are automatically expected to throw that app in the dollar bin. Anything over free or a dollar and people start worrying they won’t be able to feed their kids, but $4 for a frappuccino is no problem.

I think what really hurt the industry is when big publishers started pricing their apps at .99 How is someone going to pay more for your app when Angry Birds is only $0.99? But, then again, Rovio doesn’t have to worry too much about making much from the app any more. They have a full on brand with merchandising and I think even a movie deal.

Someone else posted this comic before, it hits home: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

• Hetal

I totally understand the point that Dan and Noah are making, and also am intrigued by Truth’s explanation of the app pricing sociology that seems to have arisen in the App Store over the past few years (love the Oatmeal too, as I routinely cite his comics to justify my position during in-office debates!).

And since I’m always up for a debate, here’s another link that might shock those of you wondering about the true value of free apps: Mobile Games Generate More Revenue if Given Away for Free — and that’s the Wall Street Journal saying that, not just some random blog!

6. Carlos Icaza

Congrats to Yobonja for their outstanding success.

As for Angry-Birds and their phenom. AB was Rovio’s 52nd game, and true, we can go on and on about free vs paid (and no debate on the new Ferrari 458 except if you want to compare it to the new Lamborghini Aventador which still no debate because both of them are the creme de la creme of the status quo on high-performance luxury cars and if anyone disagrees with me, I will ban you from the forum :-P

The lesson here is far more of a paid vs free. It is success and the Yobonja guys have been indefatigable at getting Blast Monkeys to where it is today. You know how many times they have showed up at our offices and sat and debug their app on all of our devices? They have added a bunch of metrics to find out what makes it appealing, enjoyable, etc? New levels, interaction with their users, etc. All that goes into making it a successful game, and yes, whether it is free or paid, the success was not because it was free, but the tireless number of hours putting into the game after it was deployed.

Also the other take away point here, aside from dedication to making your game a success, is that even if the game is free, it has established Yobonja as a game development company and because of the spotlight they are on, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are being approached by other houses for them to develop their games and Yobonja could demand a premium since they have amassed a wealth of information on how to successfully launch a game.

If I were to hire a company for my game and I had the guys who created the number one app wether it is free or not, vs some other guys who have had zero market penetration and without any knowledge of how to make a game successful, well, I think I would hire someone like the Yobonja team.

Like I always say, the mobile landscape is full of entrepreneurial spirit and success comes in all sorts of forms and shapes, the key here is seizing the opportunity and making things happen.

Certainly, free or not, Yobonja has established itself as a leader in mobile game development.

Congrats once again.

Carlos

7. Noah

@Carlos
    Definitely not doubting how hard those guys worked or how impressive a feat it is that they accomplished. I remember when Blast Monkeys first came out and see now how polished it has become. They did one helluva job.

8. damacon

Guys… don’t be so discouraged by the fact that app is free. Smart guys from Yobonja are using inner-active ad network (not the best btw, millenial media + jumptap may be better). Given number of their downloads, I suspect that they are generating about 10M views daily and probably about 100 000 clicks which may translate to $3k daily. This can be $1m per year business and this is only Android