In case your weekend could use a little jump-start, I’ve decided to start a Friday Night Forum. Here’s how it will work: Each week, I’ll find something relevant, post it up here in the most outrageous way I can get away with, and then let you all go at it in the comments section!

This week, I bring you the following story in today’s ReadWriteMobile talking about app development job opportunities for iPhone and Android developers. Apparently, jobs for Android are set to skyrocket and overtake iPhone gigs by the end of the year. This throws yet another curveball in the already active Android vs. iPhone debate that has regularly sprung up in the comments section around here. ;-)

Check out the full story via the screenshot below, then come back here and sound off!

9 Responses to “Friday Night Forum: Is Android the wiser investment?”

1. Mike R

Well 100% of people here at MeSittingHereTypingOnAnscasFridayNightForum.com state that according to statistics ios will still be the one that makes developers the most money regardless of what stats others may like to bandy about.
    :D

In other news- Widen the net to capture as many customers as possible is the best bet rather than sticking to one or two platforms.

Statistics are bandied about to generate marketing and get eyes on first and foremost for those spreading them. Take them with a pinch of salt is my opinion.

I mean I keep getting spammed by someone called Carlos on twitter saying that they are about to hit 20,000,000 downloads of apps created in Corona. Next he will be telling us about the percentages of all Corona apps downloaded as opposed to other lesser development environments. ;)

Cheers

Mike R

2. GreenCastle

There is one tablet made by Apple: the iPad, and we know its screen is 1024×768.
    There is one phone made by Apple: the iPhone, and it is 480×320 (iPhone 2 is double each dimension so that’s fairly easy)

For Android phones there are at least 3 screen resolutions: 480×800, 480×854, 320×480. And no one really knows what the next group of Android Tablets are going to be like… the GalaxyTab was a disaster.

It’s hard designing an interface without knowing exactly how much space and what width/height ratio you have to work with.

Also, in the documentation on multitouch it is mentioned that some Androids don’t support multitouch. Which ones? What if I decide multitouch is an important aspect of my interface?

Also, some Droids have a little direction joystick. I would sure like to leverage this if it is there (since it will be expected to work), but I already know I can’t depend on it because some have it and some do not.

I know that there is one tablet resolution and (effectively) one phone resolution for Apple, they all support multitouch and none of them have any external buttons. With Android there is no hardware consistency and there is likely to be even less going forward.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have just started with mobile app development and don’t know a whole lot yet. I am still planning my first app. But trying to size up the different Android platforms and create an experience that fits on each has been frustrating.

3. L Wolfe

Android is indeed a rough terrain for devs to navigate, but Samsung’s Galaxy Tab is by far not a disaster. Even with the newer, dual-core, high-profile Android tablets in the market, the Galaxy Tab is still one of the most popular tablets around, still selling at just slightly less than its launch price and highly supported by the mod/dev community such as the Overcome ROM (comparable to the Cyanogen mod in Android phones).

Being a dev that now targets both platforms, I’d say it’s a little unfair to compare iOS platforms with the seemingly myriad of options on Android. Since we’re looking at one brand and one line of products, Apple’s offerings are actually analogous to Samsungs in that iPhone (Pre-iPhone 4) > Samsung Galaxy S (Pre S II), iPhone 4 > Samsung Galaxy S II, iPad > Galaxy Tab and iPad 2 > Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 8.9.

The point is: Apple’s strength lies in it’s limited variability in its products, but so does Samsung. Neither one has a better business or product design model that is better than the other in terms of variability. The fact that there are other brands which has their own configuration is NOT because of the open-ness of Android, but because of the perceived need by each brand to differentiate themselves from the rest.

The different configurations exist because each brand DELIBERATELY does things differently from the others, not because Android is inherently different across brands (it has the capability, but as Google Experience devices have shown, take away brand ‘enhancement’ and it all looks and works exactly the same).

People think Apple does it well because they (sort of) chose to stick with just a single brand, and follow a single line of products. (e.g. just the Apple iPhone series) But if they do the same for Android (e.g. Just the Samsung Galaxy S line and no others), both platforms are really more similar than they think – Consistent hardware specs, software design, etc.

4. Inas

I often tell my friends that Android’s current state of apps development is kind of wild west. Some apps found their gold source of income either by ads or iap, and others got plummeted by negative comments saying apps not working correctly. Since Corona SDK now only support Android 2.2 with ARM7 proc, people with cheap android phone wont play your game. But time flies and eventually all Android phones would be better at playing apps properly, and hopefully will stick to one or two standard resolution

@about Carlos’s tweet:
    Carlos, Walter, Hetal, Peach, Jon, Eric (+more Ansca staffs) are passionate about Corona SDK, which is their product. That’s why they blog, tweet often about Corona’s success. If you want to stop getting the product’s news, just unfollow them on twitter ;)

5. Mike R

Ummmm. If you thought I was being serious about anything I said then you have a wee bit to learn. :D Although I do stick by “its all about eyes on”

Mike

6. Taka

I don’t think it matters to most of us who have chosen a cross-platform development tool (i.e. Ansca Corona and/or others). There’s at least one reason why we did so – most likely faster multi-platform development… and when it covers the top 2 most popular platforms (iOS and Android) – at least for me, I don’t get bothered much by articles by this – it just validates why I stick to such good cross-platform tools. It widens our own target market without much extra effort. Why not?

7. karl

I think the biggest thing with android is the fact developers made only 5% of what they do on the appstore.

I have several apps in the app store, and 2 on marketplace. i stopped cross-developing because the app that is making $150+/day on the appstore, was making $3/day on android.

The biggest problem in my eyes was the fact that it was so awkward to pay for apps, you needed google checkout (who really uses that?).

Now, however, google has started to allow customers to charge to their phone bill, and now i am giving it a second look, since i think this might increase sales dramatically.

I just recently discovered corona, and so far I’m pretty impressed, plus the fact that it can do android builds too makes it a no-brainer to do droid stuff anyway.

8. L Wolfe

Android’s Google Checkout isn’t really all that different with setting up an Apple ID… A Google Account is analogous with an Apple ID; you use it to your purchases on the Android Market just like you would with Apple ID on the App Store.

The only difference lies in that with Google, Android users create the Google Checkout Account (used for payment) separately from their Google Account (used for Device Ownership) This gives them the flexibility of de-linking payment accounts from login accounts and re-linking them to any other accounts easily.

For most people, they use the same email address for both accounts. And simply use it as you would an Apple ID.

I’m an Android developer that just ventured into iOS and realised how similar things are even though many iOS devs tend to think there’s a major difference.