Other than the way it looks, the main difference you’ll notice here is the ‘New Project’ button, which drops down a sheet that will make the project-creation process much easier and more straight-forward.
Unfortunately, right now all you can do is play with the New Project dialog (it’s not fully functional yet), but we wanted you to be able to mess around with it and see what’s coming up next. Corona’s all about being easier to use, from both a convenience perspective as well as a from a functional one, so this new project-creation process (as well as the pre-built templates!) will be yet another step in that direction.
Other “Home Screen” Features
Everything else on the new home screen is ready for use, so here’s what you can look forward to seeing in Corona’s new “out of the box” experience:
- News ticker at the bottom of the window which will show the latest headlines from our blog, as well as other useful Corona-related links.
- Shortcuts (see underneath the big orange ‘Corona SDK’ at the top) which will provide much easier access to the quick start guide, sample apps (local; from the Corona SDK folder), API reference, the community forums, the code exchange, tutorials on the blog, and your Launchpad Dashboard.
- Easier access to the (actual) Simulator and Build features.
- The “Demos” app, which I’ll cover next…
Corona SDK Demos
There’s a new ‘Demo’ button on the right-hand side of the app that when clicked on, gives you this:
In a nutshell, what this little demo shows you is how easy it is to implement things like images, text, touch listeners, playing sound files, and even implementing physics in Corona.
This demo app, which will surely be expanded on as we go, will be useful for a few different groups of people:
- Beginners who want a visual introduction to the basics and how it’s done in Corona.
- Corona developers who want to show others why they use Corona and how easy it is without having to say a word about it
So that’s the latest and greatest, just pushed into the Daily Builds. If you’re not a subscriber, become one now so you too can get access to the newest things being pushed into the SDK on a regular basis.
And last but not least… let’s hear your feedback.
What do YOU think of the new, up-and-coming Corona “out of the box” experience so far? Sound off in the comments!
UPDATE: As of Daily Build 638, the New Project button/dialog is now fully functional!
Posted by Jonathan Beebe. Thanks for reading...