Corona Home Screen

Other than the way it looks, the main difference you’ll notice here is the ‘New Project’ button, which drops down a sheet that will make the project-creation process much easier and more straight-forward.

Corona New Project

Unfortunately, right now all you can do is play with the New Project dialog (it’s not fully functional yet), but we wanted you to be able to mess around with it and see what’s coming up next. Corona’s all about being easier to use, from both a convenience perspective as well as a from a functional one, so this new project-creation process (as well as the pre-built templates!) will be yet another step in that direction.

Other “Home Screen” Features

Everything else on the new home screen is ready for use, so here’s what you can look forward to seeing in Corona’s new “out of the box” experience:

• News ticker at the bottom of the window which will show the latest headlines from our blog, as well as other useful Corona-related links.

• Shortcuts (see underneath the big orange ‘Corona SDK’ at the top) which will provide much easier access to the quick start guide, sample apps (local; from the Corona SDK folder), API reference, the community forums, the code exchange, tutorials on the blog, and your Launchpad Dashboard.

• Easier access to the (actual) Simulator and Build features.

• The “Demos” app, which I’ll cover next…

Corona SDK Demos

There’s a new ‘Demo’ button on the right-hand side of the app that when clicked on, gives you this:

Corona SDK Demos App

In a nutshell, what this little demo shows you is how easy it is to implement things like images, text, touch listeners, playing sound files, and even implementing physics in Corona.

This demo app, which will surely be expanded on as we go, will be useful for a few different groups of people:

• Beginners who want a visual introduction to the basics and how it’s done in Corona.

• Corona developers who want to show others why they use Corona and how easy it is without having to say a word about it :-)

So that’s the latest and greatest, just pushed into the Daily Builds. If you’re not a subscriber, become one now so you too can get access to the newest things being pushed into the SDK on a regular basis.

And last but not least… let’s hear your feedback.

What do YOU think of the new, up-and-coming Corona “out of the box” experience so far? Sound off in the comments!

UPDATE: As of Daily Build 638, the New Project button/dialog is now fully functional!

15 Responses to “New Corona Home Screen in Daily Builds!”

1. Dave Yang

I’ve always wondered why the build process can’t initiate the open project dialog, and force the user to open a project first. Often I don’t need the simulator to run the project and just build. A better workflow would be nice. Thanks.

2. ckausik

Trying to use the “New Project” option… I fill up the information in the dialog box, click Next. I hear a beep and the dialog disappears. Nothing else. If I click on “New Project” again, the dialog shows up again with the information I entered before.

3. Dave Haynes

I like the New Project dialog and templates. I wonder what all kinds of magic that will eventually do, and how much easier it might make getting started.

4. nexendk

And it would be great if we could make it dissapear. Because it keeps staying in the background (at least on Lion). That takes a lot of space on my MBA screen, with no special benefit.

• Jonathan Beebe

@Joakim: Daily builds are available to subscribers-only, and are there so users can download the latest bug fixes and features as they come down, but even so, they are completely optional. Therefore, we also use Daily Builds to get initial feedback on certain features before they’re fully ready for prime-time (e.g. public release), which is why the New Project dialog is there, but not fully functional yet. Plus, we like to keep you all in the loop and let you know what’s coming so you know what to expect :-)

5. Rob Miracle

I just downloaded the latest daily, excited to try the new multi-line text in a couple of projects I’m working on. It’s my first experience with the new home screen and I gotta say “I Like it!”. Well done team. I do have one (and a half) request. Can the home page stay open after launching the simulator or teach me how to close the simulator and get back to it? The other half request, is in my work flow, I launch Corona Terminal because I always want to have my console window handy. It would be nice if I could launch the home page, and when I launch the simulator, it launches the console with it (or make it an option). That way I could have the lovely Corona SDK Icon in my tool bar, launch it, and it launches everything I need!!!!

6. Arnel

The simulator is hiding outside the screen every time I relaunch app. I’m using Mac Lion.

7. RoverEnt

The new interface is nice and all, but who’s idea was it to disable the use of all the android devices in the simulator for iOS subscribers? Although I am working on an iPhone / iPad app, I like to check that my layout works on the various android devices just in case I decide to go down that long bumpy road. I can certainly understand limiting it for non paying users, but what benefit is there to crippling it for current iOS subscribers? By doing so, you are only making it more likely that iOS developers will not upgrade to the android subscription because they have not been able to fully code and test on the various android platforms during the development phase. Bad call.

8. carlos icaza

All

great feedback. remember that this is still work in progress. nothing is cast in stone yet as we develop it we are listening to you feedback.

Right Mr. @Rover ;-) (thanks for feedback)

c.

9. RoverEnt

Carlos, thanks for taking the time to listen. Involvement is what I have come to love about your company and the ever growing Corona community. If only the officers of all companies cared enough to cruise the blogs, forums and IRC. Good call.