All entries should be e-mailed to photography@packtpub.com and follow these parameters:

1. 300 dpi in resolution
  2. Minimum width of 7 inches and height of 5 inches (no maximum, though!)
  3. CMYK color mode
  4. JPEG file (if you win, they’ll ask for an uncompressed TIFF or .PSD file)
  5. 2 MB maximum file size (just for initial JPEG entries)

The judges will be the author Ms. Fernandez herself and our co-founder tag-team of Walter and Carlos. The entries themselves obviously will be judged on artistic merit as well as their “visual impact,” reference to gaming and game development, and how they evoke the feeling of working with Corona.

Again, the deadline to submit is January 28, 2012.

Based on previous contests we’ve held, we know it won’t be an easy task to choose the final winner since so many of you tend to submit stuff of extraordinary quality. Needless to say, we are preparing ourselves to be floored!

Best of luck to ya! :-)

*UPDATE*  We heard you! Now, the winner also will receive a yearlong subscription of Corona SDK PRO with the aforementioned prizes.

44 Responses to “Design the cover art for upcoming Corona SDK book!”

1. Marc

How cool it would be if Ansca added a one year Pro subscription to the rewards as it would directly benefit and promote Corona sdk.
    What do you think about it, Ansca? sounds reasonable?

• Hetal

@Joe: We don’t necessarily want it to look like other books by Packt, especially if you have an awesome unique idea for your entry.

2. Joe Cool

Thanks Hetal. Sorry, but I have one more question. Are we just doing the front? Or should we do the back also?

3. Hetal

@Joe: Nope, just the front cover — unless you got an awesome idea for the back that you feel will put your entry over the edge!

@Marc: Maaaaaybe. ;-)

4. iNSERT.CODE

Hi Ansca or Michelle

Can the Corona logo be used in the design.

and +1 for Marc’s suggestion – a donated Pro Sub from Ansca would certainly generate some traction for this competition…have Ansca reached a decision on this :)

5. Michelle

@iNSERT.CODE I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to use the logo. I know I have to use screenshots from Corona when referencing my tutorials in the book. Most likely, you can’t alter it (stretch it out of proportion/change the colors on it etc..). Like the App Store logo for example.

I’ll ask one of the guys just to be sure.

-Michelle

6. Marc

I guess it’s a no.
    A bit disappointed that my suggestion was ignored, I will happily let others participate.

7. David Rangel

@Marc – we just had not gotten to posting this. The answer is yes – the winner will get a Pro subscription thrown in.

8. Jiovanie

I submitted a cover last night but it was a large file, do you acknowledge receipt of an entry? How can I be sure my email went through?

9. Robin (@PacktExplorer)

Hi all. Just an update on the question of full or part cover images. All we need is the actual image that sits at the top of the cover (like here http://bit.ly/yd5wmZ). But if you would like to give the image some context, by all means send in the whole cover, but we’ll judge it on the merits of the top image part. Hope this clarifies it.

Thanks David for the extra Pro Subscription! You’re a gentleman!

10. Andrew

Alright, so now that it has been officially stated by Packt that they only NEED a replacement image for that hay section, my design has been rendered useless. How willing is Packt to adopt a design with a layout overhaul? I’ll have to go back and rethink the entire design to submit a replacement image for the hay.

11. Einat

Hi all. I’m a bit unsure of what the entry should include (as in, again, full vs. part cover image) and the suitable dimensions :)
    At first I had the impression we should design the whole cover, but @Robin’s last comment clearly says actual image only.. in which case I wonder about the minimum dimensions / desired ratio. Reason: the initial supplied dimensions at the beginning of this page were “Minimum height of 7 inches and width of 5 inches (no maximum, though!)” yet the image part clearly has width > height.

Thanks everyone, hope I manage to scrape some time and participate.

12. Einat

To answer my own question:
    I assume we’re talking about the cover image only and that the size should be (minimum) 7” by 5” (that is, you probably switched between the height and width dimensions mentioned at the beginning of this page).

13. David Rangel

Einat (and everyone) – apologies for the slight confusion. We will post later today what the *exact* specs are to make sure we all know. Hang on for a bit.

Thanks.
    David

14. Jiovanie

Once the exact specs are posted, should we re-submit our entry if we made a vertical layout, or can you still judge the entry as submitted and just ask the winner to tweak it for a horizontal format?

15. Andrew

I know Hental has already said we can only submit one entry, but given the confusing situation with the full cover vs replacement image debate, would it be possible to allow us to submit both a full cover entry and a replacement image entry? It doesn’t even have to be two submissions if both designs were placed in one document.

16. Hetal

Just a quick update, we corrected the dimensions to now be 7″ wide x 5″ tall, instead of the previously switched around ones. Sorry about that!

And yes, to make it up to you, we’ll let you submit multiple entries in case you previously submitted something in confusion — but no spamming with an avalanche of entries! :-P

Good luck everyone!

17. Torrey

Weeee procrastinators win! I was thinking about doing this when I first saw it at the beginning of the month. I’m glad I didn’t spend a lot of time designing the whole cover.

18. Obelisk Software

Just a quick question, can we include the whole Ansca Logo or any part of the Ansca logo such as the 5 seeds? If yes can we re-create these parts of it ourselves so the orientation of the logo fits the cover design?

Luke

19. Andrew

The image is wider because, as you’ll see in previous posts, they actually want a replacement image for the picture of the hay which is wider.

20. Eric

Can we submit more than 1 entry? If yes, what is the max number of entries can we submit per mail?

• Hetal

@Eric: You can submit more than one entry — just be sure to split them up into separate e-mails, so each one gets the attention it deserves. :-)

21. Andrew

Dang, I knew this would happen. I sent my cover image design in at 11:57pm and my layout design at midnight. I would have sent them earlier but I was at work all day. I’m just relieved that I made the deadline. Thanks for holding this contest! It was a lot of fun.

22. Andrew

…I just realized that I had 3 more hours to clean up my design because i’m on EST and this site is on PST… darn

23. Andrew

Will this page be updated when the winner is selected or will there be a new page? I’ve been updating this page every day, heh