We are very excited to officially announce the full availability of Corona Enterprise! As some of you know, Corona Enterprise is a new product that builds on the core Corona SDK engine and adds the ability to call any native Objective-C or Java library. This product completely takes away the limitations inherent in a cross-platform framework but allows developers to still take advantage of the amazing development speed and cross-platform functionality that Corona has become famous for.

We are even more excited about some of the great studios that have already used Corona Enterprise to publish apps. The first two we will talk about are flaregames, an Accel-funded game studio based in Germany, and Mobicle, one of the top game studios in Korea. flaregames has already published 2 games with Corona Enterprise: BraveSmart and Ocean Tower. Both have had great early success, hitting the Top 10 overall App Store charts in 10 and 19 countries respectively. Mobicle has published one game, Venezia Story, which was downloaded over 200,000 times in its first 2 weeks on SK Telecom’s T Store in Korea. We’re honored to work with these cutting-edge studios and to contribute to their success. In the next few weeks we will be talking about other great studios, companies and agencies that are using Corona Enterprise, including several in North America.

Before wrapping up, I want to make 2 important points:

1) If you are an indie developer, don’t let the “Enterprise” name turn you off. We have tiers that make Corona Enterprise completely reasonable for small companies and independents. In fact, of the dozens of Enterprise customers we have already, probably about half are small independent developers.

2) We are 100% committed to keeping the core Corona SDK product as the best cross-platform development framework on the market. We are working hard, day in and day out, to add new features and have a number of great ones being developed right now and on the roadmap. In fact, Corona Enterprise is built on top of Corona SDK and shares the same daily builds – this means that both platforms will evolve together and our entire developer community will benefit.

Finally, as Walter has mentioned in the past, we are also working on a couple of ways to bring some of the Corona Enterprise/native library benefits to our Corona SDK Indie and Pro developers. Stay tuned for more on this in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more about Corona Enterprise, please contact us and we’ll be happy to give you more information.

Thanks!

David

23 Responses to “Announcing Corona Enterprise!”

1. Damir

Great for those BIG budget studios.

I can’t imagine why didn’t you release the Enterprise version to Indy developers.

Money, money, money, must be funny…

2. gtatarkin

So why do you hide price of Corona Enterprice? As far as I know it about $3000/year subscription but even $1000/year is way to much.

3. Mohamed Hamedi (Game Minion)

@Damir, I don’t believe this is a big issue, not trying to defend Corona’s position, I don’t think I need to.
    The way I am looking at this, is in 2 points:
    1. I believe I read on the forums that there is an Enterprise subscription pricing scheme that is more targeted for indie developers, so indie developers will have an avenue to take advantage of the Enterprise features.
    2. I am still not 100% convinced that the majority of indie developers will be using Native Code support, which is really the main feature. The reason I say this is; IMHO the main attraction for indie developers is the ease of use of Corona and Lua. As an example, if say you develop a specific functionality using Ent using native code, you will have to develop the equivalent functionality separately for iOS (Objective-C) and Android (Java), this I see as a significant barrier.

Maybe it sucks that there are missing features and we have to wait till Corona adds them to the SDK. We just have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are churning away at the road map and features requested, and hope they will be added sooner rather than later.

• Perry Kuhnen

I must admit I have mixed emotions. I have been a subscriber since around Oct 2010 when it was still called the game edition.

On the one hand I feel the core product has come a long way yet is still relying on 3rd party tools to round things out. Some of the 3rd party tools should be purchased and rolled into the product. In particular an integrated code editor, debugger, etc.

On the other hand, most of us Corona users most likely won’t need native code functionality for the kind of apps being produced right now. I suspect there are a lot of Corona developers like myself who have a full time job, a mortgage, etc who develop games on the side as a hobby. As such the last thing I need is to learn Objective-C or Java to accomplish my goals. This is what’s attractive about CoronaSDK.

• David

Perry – thanks for saying that Corona has come a long way. We think so too. And we are well aware that there is still a long way to go, but in terms of core features and in terms of tooling/complements. The great thing is that there is an ecosystem/community around Corona that has plugged many of those holes. There is no way we can keep up with absolutely everything that our developers would like, but we are trying.

• Andrew Carnegie

I think that is probably the correct adage Kevin.

I much prefer full disclosure up front as its always nice to know potential licensing costs in advance should a project require features that are only practical to implement using the enterprise edition.

BTW I have enjoyed reading your column in PCPRO for many years, we have certainly come a long way since having to fight with Director!

4. Chris Leyton

Having Corona linked to studios with greater visibility can only be a good thing for all of us – admitedly it’s not quite on the same level as MOAI/Double Fine Productions, but it’s definitely a good start.

The only thing that concerns me however is that despite David’s reassurances towards indie/pro developers I read it (several times) in completely the opposite way. I am fearful that this new alignment will shift focus away from us mere ‘indie’ devs. It seems there’s been a slowdown on Corona in recent weeks, which appears to have been as a result of Mountain Lion – I just hope it’s that and not the fact that focus is shifted towards the Enterprise platform.

I just hope this shift wasn’t the straw that broke Carlos’ back :)

But enough with the gloom, I largely see this as a positive move and had e every confidence that Walter and Co won’t forget us.

• David

Chris – Thanks for the comment. I can assure, as I said in the comment, that there is no loss of focus on the core Corona SDK engine because of Corona Enterprise. As mentioned Corona Enterprise is based on the same engine. In fact, even though it is very early, there have already been features added to the core engine that were driven by the needs of Enterprise customers – and these are things everyone can use. The way we honestly see it, this structure should benefit the whole community.

As for the visibility of studios using us or others, I won’t get into any sort of competition :) We think are customers are very impressive and there are more coming.

5. Luke Hubbard

Despite the fact we are told not to panic the lack of transparent pricing information makes me very dubious.

I’m a small indi developer and really need ability to call native code. Not because I want to do anything super advanced just so that I can work around the limitations in the existing API. Things like calling basic android intents so I can link into nook store. Something which was talked about a year ago but never happened. Totally understand there are priorities at play. I don’t mind doing the donkey work myself but thought this would be added as part of pro. Now it seems we have to pay for the privilege of building our own workarounds.

6. GreenCastle

How much does this product cost and why is it not on this page:
    coronalabs.com/products/enterprise/

The cost of the original CoronaSDK was made obvious with colorful boxes showing the difference between Pro and Indie levels.

7. David

Unconfirmed, but I’ve heard Enterprise costs $3,000 per year.

I’d love to use native libraries, but I don’t have a paying contract for a job that would cover that type of expense. Although some companies / individuals can expect to make that money back. So I’m sure it’s totally acceptable for those people.

However, that IS a pretty huge expense, if that’s the correct number…

8. David

Hi everyone – answering here people’s questions about pricing. We haven’t explicitly posted it because of 2 reasons:

1) We still have a few things left to do in terms of automated back-end provisioning. But the product is ready and is in use by a bunch of customers. Anyone that contacts us right now can get the info and be up and running within a few hours.

2) While pricing is set, we are still learning more about how customers plan on using Corona Enterprise and their needs. The most effective way to do so is to engage in a brief conversation with them – which wouldn’t happen if we just post pricing and automate the process this early on.

As I mentioned in the original post, we are sensitive to the fact that indies have tight budgets and we have tiered the offering based on this. Feel free to contact us and we’ll give you the info you need (http://www.coronalabs.com/products/contact/).

Thanks,

David

9. Restless Native Games

You can post the price(s) without automating the process.

I was told a few months ago it was $3,000/per seat with a minimum of 3 seats, which would be $9,000.

If there are different tiers now you should post them because many people here are not interested in 9K or 3K, or as someone said even 1K per year.

Not posting the prices on the website looks shady and people might start to think some are getting better deals/rates than others. I doubt that’s the impression Corona wants to give.

10. Jenny

Please don’t get me wrong, but I would think that if you don’t believe your game will make $1,000 to cover the cost of the enterprise license in a year, maybe there are bigger issues!

11. David

@Jenny: What you just said is ignorant.

@David: I’m a big fan of Corona (the product) and I think CoronaLabs (the company) is pretty cool, too. But I have to agree with most others in the thread: I’d like to see a real price listed. Or if it varies for some reason, a range.

12. Jenny

@David: bold statement, no substance, very intelligent!
    If you found it hard to fully comprehend what I was trying to say, maybe I can explain it in simpler language.
    My point was that throwing a statement that $1,000 is not acceptable and too high is really not a logical argument. It is frustrating to see how people always complain about things and want things for nothing.
    Indie games development is serious business, we use tools to come up with great ideas to generate revenue. There are costs involved in getting quality tools, and; at least I would guess the majority, developers expect to make a living out of it.
    So if you are going to make a go of this, then you will need to pay for a higher level of tools, otherwise the standard subscription in my mind is good enough.

Hope this was clear enough, couldn’t find crayons!

• David

@Jenny: Don’t get too defensive, people say ignorant things all the time. I feel like this will derail the comments but here it goes…

You said “I would think that if you don’t believe your game will make $1,000 to cover the cost of the enterprise license in a year, maybe there are bigger issues!”. You are suggesting that if someone doesn’t make $1,000 with their game that there are “bigger issues”, as in, something is wrong with them or their game if they don’t make $1,000 per year on a single game.

I won’t delve into free games, but I’d consider it ignorant to assume that the average Corona-made game makes $1,000+ per year. If you do, then that’s awesome, power to you! (I don’t) But don’t put down those who do not.

I do want to clarify that I agree that for a business or indy developer that has built up a steady stream of income, the fee for Enterprise might be totally worth it considering the benefits – it’s an investment. On the other hand, I’ve worked as a senior software engineer for a small to large business for the last 10 years, and $1,000 per year would definitely need approval from an exec. It’s not a small amount, but it could definitely be worth the money if the return is there.

If what I said still requires further explaining, then I can’t help. Better to ignore me.

13. David

Hi everyone. Thanks again for the comments, and for keeping it civil :)

The feedback is all well taken. We will publish prices very soon.

Thanks,

David

14. macDemac

Can we develop enterprise applications with corona enterprise edition just like we do in appcelerator or other mobile platforms? It means applications rather than games mainly business apps.Please reply asap.I am dying to know that.Thanks in advance

15. Restless Native Games

@David (Corona David) That’s good news.

@Jenny. Just to clarify, my previous post was not meant to suggest the tools were not worth 9k or 3k or 1k. Only that some may not be willing to pay amounts that were previously communicated and if there had been changes (ie different pricing tiers) they should be posted so each individual could make that decision. Not sure why you took the 1k aspect and ran with it with such animosity. Maybe you have bigger issues.

16. Jenny

@Restless Native Games; actually specifically said that people are not interested in paying even $1,000. The reason I “took the 1k aspect” and ran with it as you say, its because $1k is the lowest of the values you mentioned, nothing clever there, just math.
    No animosity at all, just its a little frustrating when I see people lashing out in a reactive manner without any substance.
    Is $1k too high possibly it is for indie developers, but there are probably much more eloquent and constructive ways to say that. <—- thats my "bigger" issue.