We understand you make a bet on us when you choose Corona SDK.

Every now and then, there are some questions on the forum about certain aspects of the company. That’s why I want to give you the facts on where the company is right now.

No hype. No superlatives. Just the facts.

Team

Today, the team is the biggest it’s ever been: A year ago we were 11. Today we are 18.

For the engineering team, we started with 1 engineer (yours truly). Today, we have 12 engineers. That’s 3 times as large as the original engineering team.

Boy, it sure feels good not to be coding by myself anymore!

Features

Over the last year, we’ve made thousands of code checkins.

Here’s just a tiny list of features we’ve added during that time:

• Android parity such as in-app purchase, local notifications, map views, web views, …
  • iOS features like remote push notification, web/video views, Game Center, …
  • New Lua libraries like LuaFileSystem and LPEG.

In addition, we’ve made sure Corona works great not only on important OS updates like iOS 6, Android 4.x, and Mac OS X 10.8, but also on the flood of devices that came out this year:

• iPhone 5
  • iPad Mini
  • Kindle Fire
  • Kindle Fire HD
  • Nexus 7
  • NOOK HD
  • NOOK HD+

Now these aren’t traditional features, but there’s certainly a lot of work to make sure your Corona apps work seamlessly on these devices.

We’re very proud that we’ve consistently been the first to have actual shipping support for these devices. In the case of iOS 6, for example, we were at least a month ahead of everyone else.

As I mentioned on Monday, Project Gluon is going to make a dramatic difference for us.

We’ll be able to focus on more features, while simultaneously offering more 3rd party services (ad networks, monetization, etc) that all of you will be able to incorporate into your apps.

And of course, with Corona Cloud, we’ll take care of another set of headaches for you!

Community

We are doing more for the community today than we ever did. Looking back even just a year, I’m amazed at how much more we do.

Every week, Alex updates, fixes, or improves our documentation based on feedback you submit (the “Love it. Like it. Hate it.” form). When you leave us an e-mail in the docs feedback form, we now notify you when we’ve addressed them.

Based on a quick survey of recent forum activity, it’s also clear that we’re more responsive on the forums. I’ve seen both Brent and Rob quickly answer your questions and issues. More importantly, I see that their responses consistently provide good advice and/or lead towards a concrete resolution.

You may have also noticed recently that we have renewed our focus on putting out weekly tutorials. Based on your comments, I think it’s fair to say these are some of the highest quality tutorials we’ve ever done.

That’s just a sample of stuff that we are doing. There’s also a lot of cool things that you all are doing. Just one example is the Big Corona Meetup that our Corona Ambassadors put together. And if you missed it, the whole 6 hour extravaganza is captured on video.

* * *

As I think back to the beginning of Corona, I remember a lot of nights like the one I described earlier this year.

We’ve come an incredibly long way since then, but one thing hasn’t changed: my commitment to you and the Corona community. It’s as strong today as the first day I sat down to write version 1.0 of Corona.

23 Responses to “Betting on Facts”

1. George

I’m really excited about all the upcoming stuff.

Also, Brent and Rob have really made a big difference in the forums. Almost every question gets answered.

2. Naomi

I appreciate what Corona SDK offers. It’s an excellent SDK. I also appreciate Corona Labs engineers who spend a whole lot of time on Forum (even though they must also work incredibly hard to deliver feature sets and bug fixes — and I sometimes wonder how they can possibly keep going with so much demands coming from every direction.)

Glad to hear the company is growing, even though it may come with some pains. I wish the best to those who have left and hope they will succeed wherever they go. I also strongly wish the continued & successful growth of Corona Labs and the team.

Naomi

3. Gerald Bailey

I’m personally very excited about the promise of being able to quickly build not just games, but full featured business apps as well!

Just today at lunch I was speaking with my development team about how much I’m enjoying Corona, even if I’ve had a few headaches with the widgets over the last few weeks.

I’m also glad to see in the last week or so a huge increase in response from the Corona Staff (Rob and Danny to name a few) in regards to my questions. Keep up the great work guys, I think 2013 is going to be huge for all of us!!

4. Charles McKeever

It’s been a year since I first met Walter in Dallas at a Corona SDK Meetup and I am just as impressed, if not more so, with both Corona and Walter today as I was then.

I did a lot of research before deciding on Corona and it was the simplicity of the code, the multi-platform support, and the strong community that ultimately sold me. Lua was not something I was familiar with, but I liked it’s syntax similarities to PHP and JavaScript, which was great for me as a web developer.

I’m just as happy with the future of Corona today as I was when I started and everyday I see new opportunities opening up. Nothing can replace personal experience, so I would encourage new developers to try the Corona for themselves and judge the SDK on it’s own merits. They won’t be disappointed.

Thank you Walter and the Corona family for creating something worthy of our time. It’s a big ask for developers to trust you with their livelihood, but you guys earn every bit of it.

• David

Jay – that’s actually undercounting. Both Rob and Brent are Corona developers and spend most of their time on technical stuff, helping users and interacting with our engineers building features. You could easily count them as engineers as well. In that case, we have 14 of 18 engineers. Very little overhead (like me :) !

5. Hector

I like the commitment of Walter and the team on making CoronaSDK a great platform, and of course I love the simplicity of the process of making an app as well as the awesome community.

During this year I tested other platforms at the same time I was learning Corona, and at the end, I realized I was wasting my time as it was just a bunch of distractions that reflected in only one app built this year, so at the end, I decided to “burn all my ships”, quit all the other stuff I was learning/working on, and renewed my license a couple of days ago to go 100% with CoronaSDK in 2013.

Please keep up the good work, I have faith in you.

Hector

6. Mo

+1 for Rob and Brent. They have been AMAZINGLY helpful and FAST!

Thanks Walter. My view is that with any SDK there is always some amount “risks” but I feel very good about Coronalabs. I can see a huge a difference (positive) since I started using it 2 years ago.

That’s my 2 cents…

Cheers.

Mo

7. beckslash

Thanks for the update Walter. Project Gluon seems that will solve the monetization problem.

The apis are very strong and everyone can build a solid app/game with them. The only thing lacking was a proper way to make money (in app purchases, third party videos, offers for virtual currency).

Hope you’ll be able to implement that soon.

Wish you good luck.

8. Robin Ngoui

All of you have said it. Indeed an excellent platform to build mobile apps on. I am just wondering if Coronalabs is adding Windows 8 Mobile into the family anytime soon?

• David

Robin,
      We are looking very closely at Windows 8 and evaluating what it will take for us to support it and when it makes sense to do so. No specifics to talk about yet however.
      David

• Larry Meadows

So many other game engines are now supporting Windows 8 / Windows 8 phone how can Corona not support it?

So it seems kind of crazy to say when it makes sense to do so. It makes sense right now.. While we are still young ( at heart at least ).

Larry

9. Raffaele

I’m a Corona SDK fan and really like the power it gives to developers.
    Hope things go on growing, Corona Enterprise is what can make the difference. Actually i’m just a bit worried about betting on Corona for some clients in the Enterprise market, when budget is not a limiting factor and clients are big enough to claim project changes in late developing process Corona Enterprise is the only solution but i think there is a big lack in the Corona Enterprise Docs.
    Today i found that only Corona SDK limits clients can be handled with Corona, sounds obvious! :)

10. bfintal

I’d like to see more monetization options. The freemium model needs additional help from services for cross-promoting apps especially for small games. Chart booster, for one would really be great

11. Rob

So, let me get this straight, you have 14 engineers and we’re still waiting for the promised Mac apps, Level Editor, a release quality stable build, launchpad analytics that actually work, a showcase that actually works, push notifications for Android that we were told we’d have before Thanksgiving and then in the first daily after but we still don’t have after a month, no AdMob or iAds and Storyboard and widgets are both still really, really buggy. Are all 14 engineers working on your Corona Cloud stuff? Because we don’t need that, we need a less buggy SDK. At this rate it feels like Corona Cloud is just going to be yet another screwup like launchpad, mac apps, level editor… the list goes on.

12. Kevin Bradford

I’ve been working with Corona for over a year now, and I couldn’t be happier. Sure, there are bugs and frustrations sometimes, but that’s any development platform.

How quickly Corona managed to support all the new devices was astounding. I couldn’t be more excited for the next year and all the new features we’re going to see.

Keep up the good work, and I love posts like this keeping us aware of what’s going on behind the curtain.

13. Chris

Walter – you have my support – keep up the great work.
    Like most things nothing is perfect but Corona SDK comes close.
    Thanks to Corona SDK I was able to release my game on iOS – Android – Kindle and Nook all at the same time with cross platform features.
    To accomplish this in my first year as an app developer is beyond my wildest dreams.
    Next year is looking fantastic :)

Wordistic – http://mushdevstudio.iapphost.com/Wordistic

14. Tim R

Like Robin Ngoui, I’m also looking forward to Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 support. Thanks for making such a great platform.

15. STan Gifford

Would like to add my support and reinforcement to the previous messages.

I had a requirement to produce a IOS app for one of our customers (Proof of concept). Had developed in x-code but found it extremely painfull.

Replicated my POC plus more very quickly in Corona and have a very professional looking app that is very demonstratable..

Original app (X-Code) used Soap to get to IIS and SQL Server database – was painfull because X-Code soap support required 3rd party add ins.

Corona app uses JSON to a new service (that was ‘interesting’ to write that is a JSON enabled set of services in VB2012 to SQL server R2 Database).

WHole app holds together well and we now have a full Corona license – in some respects we made a bet/call with Corona – and it seems to have panned out.

Stan