Apple quietly posted this announcement requiring all iOS developers to “Build Your Apps With Xcode 5.1.1″. Apple enforces this when you try to upload your binary to the iTunes App Store:

ERROR ITMS-9000: “This bundle is invalid. New apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with public (GM) versions of XCode 5.1.1 or higher and iOS 7 SDK. Do not submit apps built with beta software.”

(BTW, technically, Xcode 5.1 was GM, not beta as the error message suggests, but Apple gets to write the rules…)

Today, we’ve found a way to address this issue. You can now use the last public release (2189) — simply redo your device build and submit. In addition, you can use daily builds 2306 or later, as these have been built with Xcode 5.1.1.

15 Responses to “Apple requires apps to be built with Xcode 5.1.1”

1. Piotr

And what about Graphic 1.0 apps build with latest daily build like: Version 2013.1257 (2013.11.7) Will they also work with your solution?

2. nicholas Golden

Obvious question, I’m using 2162 because that’s the last time Chartboost works before this whol IFDA madness took over at apple.

If I’m running latest stable Xcode, will 2162 build work still or for that matter older builds?

3. Ingemar

IMPORTANT for iOS devs!

If you’re using an older version of public build 2189 (downloaded before May 21), please be aware that you must download the new version of public build 2189 (filename is called CoronaSDK-2014.2189a) before submitting to Apple. The old version will still build with Xcode 5.0.2 which will be rejected by Apple.

The new version of Build 2189 currently available on the website will build with Xcode 5.1.1 as required by Apple. To get it just follow the download link on Corona’s main page.

Pro/Enterprise users:
    Daily Builds builds 2306 or later will build with Xcode 5.1.1.

• Walter

AFAIK, the public build 2189 should work fine now (there was a temporary server-side issue that we addressed), so at this point, you shouldn’t have to re-download the CoronaSDK DMG.

4. Dave Baxter

Is that last comment correct ?

I submitted a app to Apple on Monday and didn’t download a new version of the public release, as I already had 2189 so didn’t realise we had to.

I never got that error when submitting.

Dave

• Walter

There was a temporary issue affecting public build 2189 (as opposed to daily build 2189). It should be fixed now.

5. Melo Montoya

I had the same problem, even when updated Xcode to 5.1.1 I was able to distribute the app when I did the “validation” first. It worked for me I hope it helps :)

6. Noah (Chunky Apps)

Will you get older builds pre graphics 2.0 (specifically build 1260) to work with the new Xcode? This is a huge problem for some of us that could not update their games to graphics 2.0 for whatever reason. This effectively kills our ability to update our apps!

• David Condolora

I’m in the same position as @Noah and @Piotr. The Graphics 2.0 transition happened at the very end of my development cycle, and even with the compatibility mode, my game is broken in various ways. It would require a LOT of time to migrate, and if a critical bug is discovered, I’m dead in the water.

It seems like it would be fairly simple to update the Graphics 1.0 public release (build 1262) to use Xcode 5.1.1. I know you have to stop supporting Graphics 1.0 eventually, but it’s been less than a year since Graphics 2.0 was introduced.

7. Eros

Will we have a Graphics 1.0 version compatible to release on Apple?

If not, it need be clearly during download process. As you now submit is the last step os game production and is very frustrating discovery that your game is unable to publish on apple.

Thanks