Apple quietly posted this announcement requiring all iOS developers to “Build Your Apps With Xcode 5.1.1″. Apple enforces this when you try to upload your binary to the iTunes App Store:

ERROR ITMS-9000: “This bundle is invalid. New apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with public (GM) versions of XCode 5.1.1 or higher and iOS 7 SDK. Do not submit apps built with beta software.”

(BTW, technically, Xcode 5.1 was GM, not beta as the error message suggests, but Apple gets to write the rules…)

Today, we’ve found a way to address this issue. You can now use the last public release (2189) — simply redo your device build and submit. In addition, you can use daily builds 2306 or later, as these have been built with Xcode 5.1.1.

  1. And what about Graphic 1.0 apps build with latest daily build like: Version 2013.1257 (2013.11.7) Will they also work with your solution?

  2. Obvious question, I’m using 2162 because that’s the last time Chartboost works before this whol IFDA madness took over at apple.

    If I’m running latest stable Xcode, will 2162 build work still or for that matter older builds?

  3. IMPORTANT for iOS devs!

    If you’re using an older version of public build 2189 (downloaded before May 21), please be aware that you must download the new version of public build 2189 (filename is called CoronaSDK-2014.2189a) before submitting to Apple. The old version will still build with Xcode 5.0.2 which will be rejected by Apple.

    The new version of Build 2189 currently available on the website will build with Xcode 5.1.1 as required by Apple. To get it just follow the download link on Corona’s main page.

    Pro/Enterprise users:
    Daily Builds builds 2306 or later will build with Xcode 5.1.1.

    • AFAIK, the public build 2189 should work fine now (there was a temporary server-side issue that we addressed), so at this point, you shouldn’t have to re-download the CoronaSDK DMG.

  4. Is that last comment correct ?

    I submitted a app to Apple on Monday and didn’t download a new version of the public release, as I already had 2189 so didn’t realise we had to.

    I never got that error when submitting.

    Dave

    • There was a temporary issue affecting public build 2189 (as opposed to daily build 2189). It should be fixed now.

  5. Will you get older builds pre graphics 2.0 (specifically build 1260) to work with the new Xcode? This is a huge problem for some of us that could not update their games to graphics 2.0 for whatever reason. This effectively kills our ability to update our apps!

    • I’m in the same position as @Noah and @Piotr. The Graphics 2.0 transition happened at the very end of my development cycle, and even with the compatibility mode, my game is broken in various ways. It would require a LOT of time to migrate, and if a critical bug is discovered, I’m dead in the water.

      It seems like it would be fairly simple to update the Graphics 1.0 public release (build 1262) to use Xcode 5.1.1. I know you have to stop supporting Graphics 1.0 eventually, but it’s been less than a year since Graphics 2.0 was introduced.

  6. Will we have a Graphics 1.0 version compatible to release on Apple?

    If not, it need be clearly during download process. As you now submit is the last step os game production and is very frustrating discovery that your game is unable to publish on apple.

    Thanks
    Eros

  7. @Eros, @Noah, and @Piotr: I was surprisingly able to build and upload my game using 1262, and received no Xcode error message. However, I did receive an error about “Improper Advertising Identifier [IDFA] Usage”, which I’m now trying to decide how to work around. If it’s not one problem, it’s another.

    While I do eventually want to go through the pain of the Graphics 2.0 update, in the meantime making simple bug fixes should be possible. I’m genuinely frustrated by Corona’s transitions this year; while positive, they make it difficult to develop, especially as a developer with another full time job. I know it’s not necessarily simple, but @Walter, Corona could continue to support Graphics 1.0 users when it comes to crippling issues like the Xcode error and the IDFA error. It would be a big help.

  8. wow. My app has over 100k downloads. Now it is forever stuck in time on iOS. Gr.1 no problem. Google Play no problem. Kindle Fire no problem. And this isn’t a free app. I’ve had 7 articles on Touch Arcade about it.

    SpriteLoq is long gone, that was the basis for my game, so it would be a massive undertaking to rewrite the entire spriteloq library for me and migrate. Maybe far from now, but wow.

    But because I can’t get 5.1.1 to sign for 1262, it shall no longer be updated.

    It’s crazy how obsolete this stuff becomes, and how quickly.

    so sad.

  9. If you can build the old one with an Enterprise Certificate like I just did you can build a new app with the latest build in Corona and the only thing your new app will do is to open a web view with a html-page linking to the plist installment where the old one is published with Corona 1262 build. This way no need to update just to publish, but you will have to have an Apple Enterprise Certificate or loan one from someone :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title="" rel=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>