During this week’s Corona Geek hangout we talked with special guest Stian Saunes from 10FINGERS AB about their Corona SDK focused digital magazine, Corona Paper. Also joining the show was Brent Sorrentino, Corona Labs forum ninja. Brent educated us about Global Game Jam, which is coming up at the end of January. We also shared a bunch of announcements about upcoming Corona events, so be sure to listen to see if something is happening in your area.
This week’s t-shirt winner was Daniel Williams from ThatsSoPanda.com. Daniel followed Corona Geek on social media and then completed the Corona Geek giveaway registration form for a chance to win a Corona Labs t-shirt. Congratulations Daniel. Thank you for supporting the show and being a part of the Corona Community.
As always, be sure to join us next Monday at 12pm PST / 8pm GMT for a new episode and add us to your Google+ Corona SDK circle.
Thanks for watching,
Developer Evangelist, Corona Labs
- Stian Saunes – Corona Paper
- Brent Sorrentino – CoronaLabs.com
- David Rangel - CoronaLabs.com
- Brian Burton – Author of Mobile App Development with Corona: Getting Started
- Charles McKeever – Corona Geek / Marathon Runner
If you are new to the conversation, the Corona SDK is a cross platform mobile development tool kit that makes it easy for developers to create native applications for Android and iOS devices as well as for Kindle, and Nook. You can find out more about the Corona SDK at CoronaLabs.com.
Show Notes – 01/14/2013
- Fun Run, which was last week’s Corona Labs App of the Week, Fun Run soared to the #3 free game on the App Store, coming in just behind Google Maps! That’s pretty impressive considering Google Maps is a globally sought after app. Congratulations to dirtyBit the Fun Run team.
- Jan 15th – Torino Italy – Alessandro Grigiante is presenting on using Corona SDK for app development
- Jan 16th – Society of Illustrators, New York City
- 17th, Raleigh NC – Mobile App Game Developers Meetup – Jake Scarano, Rob Miracle
- Alex at Kwiksher is offering 3 free Kwik webinars to help you learn the basics of Kwik.
- The webinars in January are in English.
- Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese may be available upon request with a minimum attendance of 10 people
- Corona Paper has started layout on issue number 3!
- Use the promo code “coronageek” at checkout when buying Corona SDK books on Dr. Brian Burton’s website. Brian has several books to help you get started in mobile app development using Corona SDK.
- Ambassador shout out – we sent out an email to all ambassadors recently. If you didn’t get an email and think you should have, email me coronageek<at>coronalabs.com and let me know so we can get that fixed. We have big plans for 2013 and you won’t want to miss out on the fun.
- Global Game Jam, 48 hours or gaming fun, is coming up on January 25th – 27th
- Apps World San Francisco 2013 is coming up in February
- Walter Luh and David Rangel are both speaking at the event.
- Corona Labs will have a booth.
- Corona Geek will be live blogging from the event.
Lastest Build Release Notes
- Congratulations to the Corona Labs Engineers for passing up the 1000 daily builds mark. Build 1003 is now available for download.
Corona Blog highlights
- Corona Labs has partnered with Iddiction, a leading distribution and discovery platform for mobile apps, to offer another way for indie developers to promote and monetize their awesome mobile content.
- Stian Saunes from 10FINGERS AB joined us on the show from Sweden to talk about Corona Paper, the new digital magazine devoted entirely to mobile app development using the Corona SDK. The magazine captures the playful spirit of Corona and provides in-depth tutorials and articles on how to use the platform to build mobile apps. Stian talked about how the idea for the magazine came about and how an app development studio has managed to put together such a professional digital magazine around the Corona SDK. Issue 2 of the magazine will be coming out at the end of January and the 10FINGERS team is already working on issue number 3.
- Brent Sorrentino also joined us to talk about Global Game Jam, the 48 hour gaming extravaganza. Brent has been working with Corona Ambassadors from around the world to help them get involved with events in their areas. As a two day global event, game developers from all genres come together in their local area to discuss and build the games that others will want to play. There are currently over 300 events set to take place around the globe on January 25 – 27, so if you are into gaming, be sure to look for an event in your local area. If you participate in this year’s Global Game Jam, we want to know. Corona Labs will give any GGJ team that requests it a full Corona SDK Indie subscription lasting 3 months. See the Global Game Jam promotions page for details.
- Corona Geek now has a forum where you can ask show questions, submit suggestions for show topics, and let us know which guests you’d like to see on the panel.
App Reviews – Coming this week
Starting this week, I’m going to start doing app video reviews again. Here are the apps I’ll be looking at this week. If you have an app that you’d like to have reviewed, send me an email coronageek<at>coronalabs.com and let me know.
- Finger Hoola, by Ian Masters
- Easy Poker Timer by Brad Marcus
- Texas Holdem Starting Hand by Brad Marcus
- Super Magic Eightball by Brad Marcus
That’s it for this week.
Thank you for watching, listening, and supporting the show and we’ll see you on next week’s Corona Geek hangout.
Listen and Rate!
- Rate the Corona Geek podcast on iTunes
- Listen and rate on Stitcher
- Get the Corona SDK Quick Reference Chrome Extension
Posted by Charles McKeever. Thanks for reading...