During this week’s Corona Geek we hung out with Brian Burton, George Deglin, Long Vo, Ed Maurina, Matthew Chapman, and Gerald Bailey. We started the show off with some technical issues, but fortunately those issues didn’t keep us from finding out how Hiptic games created and marketed a brand new game in just 11 weeks, and how a third party Corona SDK library can help you with some of the common tasks involved in creating games and apps. See the show notes below for more details.
This week’s t-shirt winner was Andrew Kinnaman. Andrew followed Corona Geek on social media and then completed the Corona Geek giveaway registration form for a chance to win a Corona Labs t-shirt. Congratulations Andrew! Thank you for supporting the show and being a part of the Corona Community.
As always, be sure to join us next Monday at 12pm PST / 8pm GMT for a new episode and add us to your Google+ Corona SDK circle.
Thanks for watching,
Developer Evangelist, Corona Labs
- George Deglin – Development, Hiptic Games
- Long Vo – Design / Creative, Hiptic Games
- Ed Maurina – SSKCorona Creator, Roaming Gamer
- Brian Burton – Author of Mobile App Development with Corona: Getting Started
- Charles McKeever – Corona Geek / Marathon Runner
If you are new to the conversation, the Corona SDK is a cross platform mobile development tool kit that makes it easy for developers to create native applications for Android and iOS devices as well as for Kindle, and Nook. You can find out more about the Corona SDK at CoronaLabs.com.
Show Notes – 01/21/2013
Announcements & Events:
- Jan 22 – Torino Italy, Corona SDK Developers Courses
- Jan 23 – Kwiksher Webinar – If you are interested in creating mobile apps without writing code using Photoshop – sign up to attend the webinar, starting at 2pm PST.
- Global Game Jam – January 25th – 27th
- Jan 31 – Boston, MA, Corona SDK Developers Meetup – Guest Speaker – Dr. Brian Burton
- Apps World San Francisco 2013 – Feb. 7th – 8th.
Keep your New Years Resolution to create that new app!
- From now until January 31st. Dr. Brian Burton, author of several beginning Corona SDK books is offering $5 off book purchases when you use the promo code “coronageek” during checkout. Visit Brian’s website, Burton’s Media Group for a list of Corona SDK books.
Lastest Build Release Notes
- In Build 1008, OpenFeint and all of its resources were removed for Android, which helps to reduce the APK file size.
Corona Blog highlights
- If you find yourself working with Corona SDK times and dates, be sure to take 5 minutes to read through Rob Miracle’s tutorial on “Working With Time and Dates in Corona”.
- ShaqDown & Hiptic Games – This week we hung out with George Deglin and Long Vo from Hiptic Games to talk about their new hit title, ShaqDown. George and Long are also the creators of GoNinja, which is one of my favorite mobile games. The guys shared how they were able to create a completely custom designed mobile app in just 11 weeks using Corona SDK. They also shared some behind the scenes secrets on how they got exposure for their app. One of the most interesting comments from Long was how they offered exclusive debut coverage to IGN Entertainment who has delivered my than 160K+ video views of their game trailer. Combine that with their own push notification efforts through their existing GoNinja install base and you’re talking about a respectable amount of exposure for a brand new game.
- Super Starter Kit (SSK) for Corona SDK – We also got the chance to talk with Ed Maurina, creator of SSKCorona. Ed has created a third party Corona SDK library that helps developers create games and apps. The library grew out of Ed’s own usage needs and is now offered up to developers as a way to shortcut common app development tasks. The library is written in Lua and can be downloaded and modified to match your project requirements. Find more information about SSKCorona on GitHub and Roaming Gamer.
- There won’t be a live Corona Geek hangout next week because I’ll be flying back from the Global Gam Jam event in San Francisco. However, be sure to look for video updates and live blogging from the event. I’ll post as much as possible through out the entire 48 hour event.
How to win a Corona Labs T-Shirt
- Congratulations to Andrew Kinnaman. He is this week’s winner of the a Corona Labs t-shirt. Each week we give away a t-shirt to someone in the Corona Geek audience. If you’d like to have a chance to win, just follow Corona Geek on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or YouTube and then complete the registration form to be entered for a chance to win.
Want to suggest a topic for an upcoming Corona Geek hangout?
- Submit your ideas on the Corona Geek Forum Thread.
That’s it for this week!
Thank you for watching, listening, and supporting the show and we’ll see you on next week’s Corona Geek hangout.
Listen and Rate!
- Rate the Corona Geek podcast on iTunes
- Listen and rate on Stitcher
- Get the Corona SDK Quick Reference Chrome Extension
Posted by Charles McKeever. Thanks for reading...