Make a game in 8 minutes with Corona?

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+2Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0

After posting our Quick Start Guide to Corona a couple days ago, we thought we’d demonstrate just how easy it is to get started from Square One with Corona to create your first mobile game.

We’ve already shown you real-life cases in which Corona users have created a game in eight days. Now, Ansca Mobile engineer Tim Statler shows you how you can make one in eight minutes! Download the source files for this video.

Be sure to check back for more videos by Tim as he adds onto his “Balloon Game.”

*UPDATE – 10/19/2010 @ 3:24pm PST* Background music has now been turned down. 🙂

hetal

This entry has 32 replies

1. J. A. Whye says:

Simply awesome!

You guys should find someone well-versed in Xcode to create this example in Obj-C and do a side-by-side comparison of the code. That would probably be a real eye-opener for some folks.

• tim says:

Thanks, J.A.! And great idea on the Obj-C comparison.

2. Bram says:

Thanks for the awesome tutorial. Im new here so it really helps!

3. Bram says:

I noticed u used textmate. Would u say thats the best text editor?

4. Great tutorial for the newcomers. Which screenrecording software do you use for it?

P.S.: I use Textwrangler for editing my scripts.

5. Tim Statler says:

Michael, I used ScreenFlow for this recording and can highly recommend it. Easy to use, nice post-production features like zooming and cropping. This was my first screen cast, however, so I can’t compare it to other products.

6. awesome example … background music not so good. 😛 Keep up the good work.

7. Love the tutorial (music a little too loud?). Hope you guys make more, this is great stuff for newbies and switchers!

8. GamingHorror says:

Great tutorial but music is definitely too loud and unnerving. It makes it very hard to concentrate.

9. Hetal says:

^ I am uploading a “turned down music” version of the video now.
    Nevertheless, it’s great to hear that you all still enjoyed Tim’s stellar tutorial!

10. Ryan H says:

Questions:

1. Is this the Game Edition?
    2. Is this the only single edition offered now?

• Tim says:

Ryan, to answer your questions:

1) Yes, this tutorial featured the latest release of Game Edition.
      2) We do still offer both Game Edition and the less feature-rich Corona SDK on our “Get Corona” page. But Game Edition has always been the best value, and we are currently offering 50% off Game Edition to new users! Check out our recent blog post:

11. Mark says:

Nice Jazz.

• Tim says:

Glad you enjoyed the music, Mark. 😉

12. Ben says:

Looks like a tutorial on how to make my TumbleBee app. Makes me feel a little embarrassed :). Wish I’d had these features available when I made it though. Took me a bit longer than 8 mins.

• Tim says:

Ben, thanks for the comments. This tutorial is hardly a finished game, so there’s no comparison to your polished (and published!) creation.

13. Mirko says:

Great tutorial, looking forward to continuing this series.

I agree with previous comments about the background music. It’s way too loud and distracting.

14. Aous Khaldi says:

It’s really fantastic idea to make a game by yourself. But you cant bring the best moments of games by yourself. Just play the amazing “Devil Killer” and you’ll understand what i mean. http://www.picogame.com/mobilegames/devilkiller/devilkiller.html

15. Bill D. says:

Hello, I just downloaded the sample app. and it crashed. The console says it was missing “gameUI” which is required. I deleted that line “local gameUI = require(“gameUI”)” in the main.lua file and the game ran. However, there is a red box around the balloon – looks like a bounding box of some sort?

• Tim says:

Thanks for the report, Bill. I just updated the download package without the gameUI reference, which was there in error.

The bounding box you see is part of the physics engine’s “hybrid” drawing mode, which lets you “see” the physics bodies in the simulation super-imposed over the actual display objects (the video demonstrates this feature, as well). To disable this mode, comment out the following line in main.lua:

— physics.setDrawMode(“hybrid”)

The other drawing modes are “debug” (in which you only see the physics bodies, no display objects) and “normal”, which is the default mode.

Tim

16. Bill D. says:

@Tim – Thanks for the quick reply. Everything work fine now.

17. The Complication says:

Great video, thanks so much for posting. But, the background music is really annoying. I feel like I should be drinking at the same time.

18. deastruacsion says:

this is awesome i downloaded everything i need and im working on many little projects i hope to release some awesome app in the future thanks to corona nd great tutorials, are there any tutorials on adventure gammes, like stick figure side scrollers, it would be a long tutorial but i would greatly appreciate it!

19. Bayani says:

Great Tutorial!

I especially like when the finer details are explained about the commands.

20. kage says:

Hi Tim,

What kind of text editor can you use for windows?

21. Tim says:

@Bayani, thanks for the feedback! @kage, for Windows text editor suggestions, check out this thread on the Corona for Windows forum:

Tim

22. kage says:

Tim,

thanks so much for that info. Um, are there any tutorials for beginners with ZERO experience like me for windows? its a bit overwhelming and I just get lost in the loop. I try to look in the blogs but I cant find any or maybe i just didnt see it, just like that link you put for the text editor. Thanks so much for the help.