A few weeks ago, Gibibyte Games released their first mobile game, Color Confusion, after building it with Corona SDK. The game currently is available on the Android Market (free version too!), Amazon Appstore, and most recently was chosen by Barnes & Noble for their NOOK Color tablet.
Not bad for a first try! 😀
The Gibibyte team is comprised of four distinguished specialists: Paul (developer), Ellie (graphics), Chase (lead beta tester), and Lilly (associate beta tester). Their foray into gaming apps was born out of curiosity, and turned into a whole family endeavor!
And I’m kinda mad we didn’t hire Chase and Lilly as our summer interns.
I’m an Oracle programmer by day, and have been curious about mobile app development for some time.
A few months ago, I tried out the Android SDK and worked through a few of the tutorials. However, there seemed to be a steep learning curve and the curiosity faded. Between juggling a full-time job and family, I needed a tool that was easier to learn and more user friendly. Something that allowed for rapid prototyping and shaping of ideas, while we brainstormed game concepts.
It was then that I stumbled upon something called Corona. After watching the demo video and seeing there was an absolutely free unlimited trial, I decided to give it a try.
That was a defining moment, as it completely changed the summer for our entire family…
After spending a few hours with Corona, I realized this is exactly what I was looking for. It addressed the issues that squelched my curiosity a few months earlier. Not only did it allow for rapid prototyping of my game ideas, it also included numerous sample projects that showcased various Corona features. These sample projects made it clear how powerful and feature rich Corona actually was.
Now that I was sold on Corona, I just needed a game idea — that’s when the rest of the family started to get involved. My daughter, Lilly, was in kindergarten and learning her colors. We started brainstorming on game concepts and landed on a game that involved mixing colors to create new one. We called it Color Confusion.
With Corona, I was able to take Color Confusion from a concept to a working prototype in a few short days. During that time, I realized a feature of Corona that was not obvious at first. The amazing user community! When I had one of those “how do I” questions, the user forums were a gold mine. I am continually amazed at the willingness to help and share by the forum members. It’s not uncommon to observe seasoned Corona developers sharing valuable code, they worked hard to get right, with the community.
The coding of Color Confusion took about a week, while the graphics took a little bit longer. Ellie had never done graphics work before, and spent several frustrating weeks trying various tools to make the job easier. She has now settled on some tools and is much more familiar with their abilities. During that time, Chase and Lilly spent considerable time play-testing Color Confusion, and providing feedback from a kid’s perspective.
Together, we were able to complete Color Confusion in about one month, working on it nights and weekends.
That’s the power of Corona!