Update on NOOK and Google Play

Corona Labs logo
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+2Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0

In the last few days Barnes & Noble announced that the NOOK will now support the Google Play store and will be able to install and run its apps. Unfortunately, Corona apps that have been built for Android/Google Play will not run on the NOOK. This has been fixed with the latest daily build (#1101).

Because of this, we recommend that Corona developers take the following 2 measures:

1) Log into Google Play and specify that your apps not be available for NOOK devices. This can be done by all Corona developers (Starter and Pro) right away.

2) If you have access to daily builds, re-build (with #1101 or later) and submit an update to Google Play. If you do this, you will not have to make any changes to device specifications.

Thanks!

david

This entry has 10 replies

1. Damir says:

“1) Log into Google Play and specify that your apps not be available for NOOK devices.”

I can’t find that option in my Google Play developer account

• Dean Hodge says:

Click on Your App in Google Play Distribution Portal, then click APK. Then click See Supported Devices. Search for the term “nook” or “barnes”. Make sure the 2 returned results are not green but red then save. Do this for each of your apps.

• Damir says:

Thank you!

2. Any chance this will make it easier to side-load APKs onto my Nook HD for testing? I just recently bought one and was gobsmacked by the needless complexity of installing my own APKs, just to test them out.

• David Rangel says:

Jason – are you referring to issues related to certificates related to Nook? If so, we can’t do much about that on our side.

• Hi David,

Not referring to certificate issues, or really anything caused by you guys. It’s really more of a question for B&N, but I thought you might have an inside line on info. I guess I’m just spoiled by my other Android devices that don’t require ADB or using command-line tools to install apps for testing purposes. I just miss the easy “drag, drop, open on device” process I could use on Kindle Fire or vanilla Android devices. Hopefully by allowing Google Play, the “allow apps from unknown sources” setting will also be unlocked. I’ll have to give it a try when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

3. I’m a little confused. If we do #2, do we still have to do #1?

• David Rangel says:

Stephen – no, if you do #2, then you don’t have to do #1.

4. Ed Maurina says:

@Jason,

Hi. I’m not sure if this will work, but you might try this:

1. Build APK
    2. Upload to a dropbox account
    3. Click the dropbox download link on your device.

This should trigger the download and install path/method.

It’s a bit roundabout, but not terrible.

Note: I don’t have a nook, but I use a similar technique to get binaries to my Kindle Fire.

• Eric Advance says:

@Ed Maurina

Ed,
      I tried your dropbox method for my Kindle Fire. The file downloaded to the Fire with succes, but the app does not appear (I have selected allow apps from Unknown sources). Drop does seem to send the file as a zip. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title="" rel=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">