Corona Update: Graphics 2.0

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0

Note: Graphics 2.0 is now in public beta for all Corona SDK Pro and Enterprise subscribers. Please see Walter’s recent blog piece on the news.

Yesterday, we invited a small group of developers to participate in an early access version of Graphics 2.0 that we’re calling a Developer Preview.

The idea behind this preview is to get some initial feedback while giving us the flexibility to change API’s, stabilize moving parts, and add more features.

Our plan is to open this up to broader beta testing soon after the next public release — the last public release to feature our old, venerable 1.0 graphics engine. Graphics 2.0 will go into daily builds soon after.

In the mean time, we’ll be inviting a few more folks to the Developer Preview. If you’ve signed up for the beta and are dying for earlier access, send me a note (walter at coronalabs dot com) and let me know what you’re up to.

walter

This entry has 14 replies

1. Chris says:

Too bad I’m not in that group (yet).
    Looking forward to get it into my hands and play with it 😀

2. Scott says:

Are anti aliased vectors are a part of this update?

• Walter says:

Yes, as long as the device supports multisampling-based AA.

3. Tom Bladko says:

I submit few times to join beta testing group without any replay from Corona Labs Team.

• Walter says:

We’re at pre-beta right now, so we’re limiting the testing group right now.

4. Chris says:

Before it goes into the daily builds, will you guys freeze the current and do a public, stable release?

• Walter says:

Yup, the upcoming public release is the last one before we do a switch-over to graphics 2.0 in daily builds.

5. Mustafa says:

I can’t wait to check it out!

6. greg says:

Hi Walter, can I ask the unanswered question I had on the last post please. It was:

Hi Walter,

I’ve currently got to re-address my whole approach for graphics usage (texture memory & size of app) for my scrolling game.

Q1 – Will the new Graphics version allow me to greatly minimise amount of texture memory for background/levels that span multiple screens worth. Will it allow us to specify a boundary (shape/points) and then fill with a “pattern”?

Q2 – Any support for Photoshop to export shapes from here so you can copy/paste it directly into a LUA file?(i.e. I guess I’m implying if you have a vector object in photoshop & you want an easy path to use it as both a physics image in Corona)…not expecting there will be but thought I’d ask..

7. Romanski says:

wow, exciting news!

Will there be many changes that I have to do in order to make my code run with the new graphics 2.0 engine?

8. gslender says:

Can’t wait, can’t wait. Will Android be supported with features equal to that of iOS? (assuming the device/hw capabilities are equal)

9. Regis Geoffrion says:

Hi Walter,

I am really excited about Graphics 2.0 as I am developing a game that pushes the envelop graphically. Something I really hope to see is the ability to set and change dynamically the texture UV mapping on any display object. Will that be possible?

rg

10. I am working in business applications and we really want to have a clean application solving the issue with scrolling objects that goes off of bounds when scroll is done from bottom to top inside scrollview, tableview or any object with scrolling.

This is not visually pleasant!

By the way, wonderful job with Corona sdk !

11. lessmsios says:

Logic and math operations on an image or a pair of images would be nice. XOR, OR, +, -, etc.

Would also be nice to have a new display image load from an existing graphics object handle in addition to the current file or image sheet.