Introducing Corona SDK Basic

Flat Corona
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+8Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn2

We’ve had lots of great news recently, from the public beta of our new graphics engine to bringing John Romero on board as an advisor. But we are constantly thinking about how to give Corona developers, especially those just starting in mobile development, as many tools as possible to be successful. With that in mind, we are happy to introduce Corona SDK Basic – a pricing tier that fits between Starter (which is completely free) and Pro.

Corona SDK Basic, like all other tiers, allows you to publish for iOS, Android, Kindle and NOOK (and soon Windows!). Like Starter, it gives you access to most of our monetization plugins, but it also adds the ability to implement in-app purchases (IAP) in your games and apps. This includes Apple and Google’s in-app purchases, as well as access to the plugins for Amazon IAP, Fortumo and Ouya (and any other future IAP-related plugins).

Corona SDK Basic is $192/year ($16/month, billed annually) for a limited time, so be sure to act fast!

For now, Corona SDK Pro remains unchanged and adds access to Daily Builds and Graphics 2.0. Corona Enterprise adds offline builds and the ability to call any native library from within your Corona app, and is available at prices for small businesses and larger companies. You can see all tiers on our pricing page.

As always, we look forward to seeing what our community develops in Corona!

david

This entry has 31 replies

1. Mike Jarrell says:

Incredible!!!! Thank you all so much!

2. Marin says:

For a limited amount of time? That means basic wont stick around?

• Kerem says:

I think it will go up to $25 per month as indicated on the price tiers page. For a limited time it is $16 per month. I think this is what it means.

• David says:

Marin – Basic is definitely going to stick around. The limited amount of time is for that price ($192/year).

3. Kerem says:

Interesting development. Thanks for the update. Looking at the pricing tiers page I see that Graphics 2.0 is listed only on Pro and upwards plans. Does this mean even after it is out of beta and released it will not be included in the Free and Basic tiers? Will those tiers be limited to Graphics 1.0? Appreciate the clarification.

• David says:

Kerem – the new graphics engine will underlie all tiers. And features that replace old features (e.g., anchor points) will be in all tiers. But some of the new features (e.g., filters) will be for Pro/Enterprise only (at least initially).

4. John says:

Great idea! In-App purchases are important and this tier definitely seems like a great addition. Will there be student/education pricing available for the Basic tier? (Monthly and/or Yearly?)

• David says:

John – I just updated the page with our edu pricing:

• John says:

Excellent – thank you David!

• John says:

Oh David, I think the Basic subscription still needs to be added to the verbiage at the beginning of the page and also to the Subscription type drop-down list at the bottom. :)

Thanks!

• David says:

John – which page are you referring to? can you email me? david AT coronalabs

• David says:

Ah – of course, you meant the edu page again :)
            Fixed. Thank you.

5. Romanski says:

I think you should additionally give the basic edition access to daily builds and the pro subscribers the ability to develop plugins. just my two cents.

6. AndyCW says:

Sounds great. I’m grandfathered into the pro, but only bought for the IAP. When I renew can I drop to basic at the preferred introductory price?

• David says:

Andy – you’ll definitely be able to buy Basic instead of renewing Pro. But the exact price will be whatever it is at that point in time.

• David says:

Also – just to make sure it is clear: if you do let your Pro subscription expire, then you will not be able to renew at the old $349 price. But you may be completely fine continuing with just Basic.

• Alex Beylin says:

If we buy basic at $16 per month, when it goes up to regular $25 will we still be able to renew it at $16, or would it be $25 to renew (would we be grandfathered at 16)?

• David says:

Alex – If you buy at $16 now, you would have to renew at whatever the price is in one year (which is likely $25).

• I’m grandfathered into Pro as well – and I’m really pleased by the new Basic tier! Between this, OUYA and now Windows phone support, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy with corona.

7. I just renewed at $349. What if I wanted to downgrade?

• David says:

WideAwake – we could downgrade you to Basic and give you a few extra months to compensate for the extra amount. Just keep in mind that you will lose your ability to upgrade later to Pro at the “old’ price of $349.

Just email me david AT coronalabs.

8. dyson122 says:

Adding support for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 is a huge step in the right direction! I look forward to testing the Windows 8 performance on a desktop PC!

9. Hello, World!!!!! lol…… I am New to all of this programming stuff, Is Basic good for me or Pro????? Hi Dave, Is Pro going on sale at all?????

10. Dave if i join with basic first, can i upgrade to Pro later????

• David says:

Angelo – yes, you can upgrade at any time. We’ll take into account any value left in your existing subscription when you upgrade.

11. marvin says:

Are Daily builds included in Basic?
    What about upgrading to Pro? What will be the cost?

• David says:

Marvin – Daily Builds are not in Basic (only Pro or above).
      You can upgrade to Pro at any time and we’ll take into account the value left in your Basic subscription at that time.

12. Dale says:

So there’s not a free level anymore?

• David says:

Dale – yes, there is definitely a free level (Starter). Anyone that downloads Corona is automatically on Corona SDK Starter and can publish for free.

13. StarterSam says:

What happens when the subscription expires? Do I get to keep the last build I had or am I thrown back to the Free version? If it is the second, then basically I would be wasting my subscription as I might only upload an app once or twice a year. Can I switch to A higher level, then fall back or put my subscription on hold? Then revert back higher as required? But then I cannot test the advanced features that I might need while creating my app.

when does the Windows 8 bit start? would we be able to upload and test to the device? Microsoft did not allow unlocking (for development till you had an app on the app store) and could I develop using my mac or would I need a windows machine with Visual studio?

14. Max says:

Hi max here, i just wanted to know if facebook and other social media plug-ins are included in basic.