Windows Phone logoWe’re thrilled to announce a new alliance with Microsoft to allow Corona developers to publish apps for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store!

In the near future, our global community of more than 300,000 developers worldwide will be able to publish to these new platforms, along with iOS, Android, Kindle, and NOOK. As always, Corona will be best-in-class in allowing developers to maximize code re-use and work with a single code base. Check out the full press release here. You can also read Microsoft’s post on the announcement here.

Microsoft’s support for high-quality apps, together with the variety of devices running Windows Phone 8, make it an ideal platform for gaming experiences and business apps alike. Since launch in 2012, the Windows platform has grown to offer nearly 200,000 apps, with more content hitting the Windows Store each day.

Flaregames, creator of Corona Enterprise-powered titles including Throne Wars, BraveSmart and Ocean Tower is excited for the upcoming platform support. Matthias Schindler, CTO of flaregames said, “Corona SDK makes it extremely easy to publish for iOS and Android with a single code base. By supporting Windows, Corona Labs will make it even easier for us to maximize our apps’ reach and success.”

Beta support for Windows Phone 8 will be available in the first quarter of 2014, followed by full support for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. Get ready!

59 Responses to “Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store Support Coming to Corona SDK in 2014”

1. Marin

Great news. Now only thing missing is support for desktops + a ‘real’ ide, something like xojo. Hopefully those things will come in near future. Looking forward using corona even more :)

• Marin

David, I’m using Sublime for almost 3 years now, so don’t worry about it, it suits me just fine. Best text editor ever! But still not an IDE where one could drag n drop objects, pictures, etc., and then set their properties on some panel… Crazy dreams I know, but realbasic aka xojo has spoiled me a bit. Hopefully Corona will have that some day as well :)

2. Larry Meadows

This is AWESOME especially that I am doing my next meetup at Microsoft in Charlotte, NC !!!

on Nov 11th !!

This is wonderful news !!!

Now to really jump on my next game !!

3. Erich Gruttner

Great job guys!!! You’re doing the right things at the right time. First John Romero and now that…excellent, that’s the way!

Congratulations!!!

4. Marshi

Do we need a Windows 8 machine to publish? It will be great if it can be done through a Mac. =)

5. Dave Baxter

Is Windows 8 easier to support both mobile and desktop ?

Just wondering why you have never included Mac desktop ?

Am not complaining, just interested really.

Dave

• David

Dave – we want to eventually support Mac Apps. But here are the couple of reasons why we have not gotten to it:
      1) Our simulator already runs on Mac, but adding all the features required to make it be a true Mac app is *a lot* or work. More than you might think
      2) It’s a very small market. We think we are much better served focusing on the platforms with significant market share and not getting distracted with platforms where developers are still not seeing results.

• David MEKERSA

“It’s a very small market.”
        I agree… and not.
        While the Mac App Store is a very small market, my games did great incomes (15-20% of the PC incomes) with publishers like Big Fish Games. Same for Steam (while I do not have game on Steam, I know they sell Mac games.). The issue is the Mac App Store, not the market.

• Christian Mueller

Hi David,

sorry i TOTALY DISAGREE !!!

I am in the Business since 30 Years.

Mac OSX a smaller Market than Windows Mobile ???
        U really think that. ALL OSX Machines with less market than Win Phone 8?

The Apple Users usually BUY MORE APP.. Windows Users are more often Hackers and Free Gamers.

Also The AppStore in OSX is a very well known Market Place to purchase Apps..

And and u say.. u already have a simulator!! I really don’t know what else I would need
        Just make a Wrapper around so its one DMG and story ended.
        ALL of my APPS and Games RUN already in the Simulator fine and perfect. So whats the big deal really?
        I just can’t believe that… therefore I guess there are other Reasons.. maybe that Corona don’t earn additional on it and maybe with the Microsoft Deal. If so.. i could understand.. but than talk the truth.. and don’t egg around.

Sorry. U HAVE ALREADY all there and u just don’t make thats one DMG.. the simulator and and App (if the app on osx is 40mb bigger.. don’t bother anyone)

I am really interested if u answer on that.

Thanks and all best
        Chris

6. Peter Dwyer

Please please please make sure that the video, keyboard, camera and mic work as they do for Android and iOS. I also use Unity3D and they simply haven’t bothered to get those vital aspects working. So all of my apps that require a user to enter their name on windows store (phone seems to let the OS handle keyboard but, at the price of not being able to lock it’s orientation or change how it appears) are keyboardless unless you have the touch cover or are running it from your desktop. Pure tablet mode has not keyboard or mic support!

I figure I’ll get this rant in early so that you corona guys have no excuse not to have these up and running day one!

• David

Peter, thanks for the feedback. Would you mind if I ask you a few additional questions? Could you send me an email to david AT coronalabs?

7. Peter Dwyer

Also I should add that if you have a beta for this please add me as I have a number of apps written in corona on both ios, nook and samsung and would love to do a port to windows store and phone asap. I will happily be a test subject if it helps get this out sooner.

Contact me if you need to know what the apps are and see them for yourselves i.e. to show I’m dead serious about this!

8. Larry meadows

Same here sign me up for beta / early releases
    I have started working on a few more apps that I would love to release all at one time.

also everyone note that when you have issues the Microsoft store people are good at letting you know what you news to do to fix something that may not pass validation.

from what I hear from others that I know with windows 8 apps.

Larry Meadows

9. Adi

Great News. your’re definitely going in the right direction with the new graphics and now win8 support!
    sign me up for the beta!

10. Lebourg

Great news !!!
    I develop 2D games for WP8 and W8 with Monogame but it lacks a GUI so I’m looking for another SDK with more efficiency
    Please sign me up for the Beta !!!

11. JCH_Apple

There are actually two flavors of Windows 8. Will it be possible to compile to both Windows RT and Windows 8 for classic Intel platform ?

• Peter Dwyer

JCH_Apple

There are actually three flavours of windows now. Your standard exe desktop application, your windows store app and your windows phone app. The store is pretty much taking over now and even windows 8 was updated recently to 8.1 via the store. Store builds work on both RT and actual windows 8, though you need to specify when you publish.

Store apps are essentially xaml apps written in a variety of languages and then signed, sealed and delivered to the microsoft servers via the usual developer portal. Same with the phone apps.

12. Ingemar

Microsoft is going to merge the Windows Phone Store and Windows Store into a single store next year. How that’s going to work is still anyone’s guess.

I think what this means is Corona will be supporting the new merged store, and my guess is that Corona will compile only one app-binary. Which devices the binary will run on will be up to Microsoft. Any devices that support this binary (either natively or through an emulator) will be able to run the app.

13. Altaf

This is really BIG news and I am hoping Corona will implement this in a way that we are all used to – click and compile.

Wondering – if we have to perform 20% tweaks using C#? want to know if this will be a one button click WIN8 compile or something i can take in Visual studio, finalise and then compile?

great news nevertheless. Way to go CoronaLabs. Thank you.

14. Pawel Maczewski

So, if we’re talking about the Windows 8 support – guess it means we can run the app on stuff like Surface Pro tablet. But what about the Windows RT series, and ARM CPUs? Any chances here?

15. Joe

Terrible decision if your resource is limited!

You should choose Mac App first.

Windows Phone is the last choice!!!! Or NEVER!!!!

How much did you get from Mr. Gate? If nothing, even dumber!

16. Josep Alemany

I m very interested On windows 8 support. Please, let me Know as soon as you publish the release. Thanks!

17. Peter Dwyer

Any news on this? Was supposed to be first quarter but, that’s rapidly coming to a close (only a month left) and there hasn’t been a peep out of the Corona team.

Some news would be appreciated.

18. GregH

any update? any ideas on whether initial support will cover existing corona games that use (a) IAP and (b) game center leaderboards, and whether we’ll have equivalent support?