We think yesterday’s announcement of CoronaCards is a game changer. It changes the equation. Instead of a choice, it’s all of the above — you get to leverage Corona technology in any existing native app!

Now as hard as this is to believe, I want to give you a taste of something that’s even more exciting.

You may remember our “DebugDraw” sample app, as seen in a couple of the CoronaCards videos and as included in your Corona SDK installation.

Well, check this out (works best in Chrome on a desktop):

Yes, that’s what you think it is. A Corona app running in the browser. No plugins required. Enjoy!!!

[Update: Check browser support. IE11 has a bug we haven't worked around yet. Finally, you may need to turn on WebGL, e.g. Safari users]

[Update 2: The above demo code is available on github, and also can be used in Corona-based native apps on iOS/Android]

58 Responses to “CoronaCards is cool. Here’s something even cooler!”

1. dingo

haha this is… awesome!! does this mean I can take an app like my game Grooh, and play it in the browser without modifying the source code?

2. Alex

Based on the category of the post (see above), it seems this feature will be available only to Corona Enterprise…

• Raphael Salgado

All I see is “Post Category: Corona SDK, News & Announcements” and “Post Tags: corona html5 javascript webgl,” so I’m not sure where you got the “Enterprise” from. The Enterprise ad below the blog post is shown in every other blog post, too.

• Alex

Raphael, the original breadcrumbs of the posting were: Blog Home ->Corona Enterprise->CoronaCards is cool. Here’s something even cooler!

Clearly someone updated after my comment… Glad to see it is not related to Enterprise.

3. JesterXL

Awesome! It appears you’re using ECMAScripten to get efficient JS compiled from C that is compiled from Lua. However, if we now have HTML5 as a target, wouldn’t it be more efficient given the current industry trend just to start in JS and use the Corona suite of tools? The JS industry has really matured enough, especially in games, to help support the value of this compilation target.

4. Alex

Besides Chrome, did anyone get success running this sample in another browser? I tried IE9 and IE10 without success on Windows 8 (I am not with my Mac, which has Safari and Firefox, here). It did not worked on Safari iOS7.

• CineTek

You need CoronaCards… At least this is what I think after reading the html source code… So Corona is running a closed beta for months again just like Graphics 2.0. It will take ages until we get access to it.

• David

CoronaCards is a different thing from this. Building to the web is just another option, like building to iOS or building to Android.

• CineTek

Thanks David! That is really great to hear. So how do we get access to this? Lerg was able to make a web version of his CubicRun – he must have used some kind beta-build if I am right

• David

We are working on it – like all software, we need to finish a few things first. Lerg doesn’t have official access actually. He seems to have reverse engineered it :)

5. 3fold Studios

thought that this was going to be the answer to my preiers
    works great on Firefox (Win 7), checked it out on Safari iOS7… and nothing
    you get the loading icon and then just an empty area

was hoping that this would give me a true mobile to desktop experience

• 3fold Studios

thanks, but I meant the iOS version of Safari, it doesnt support WebGL. I would love to be able to make web content that would show on desktop and mobile devices

• Walter

Apple actually does support WebGL under the hood on iOS, as you can use WebGL inside an iAd, but they haven’t exposed it anywhere else (in Safari or webviews in native apps).

Best thing to do is file a bug with Apple :)

6. David MEKERSA

Hum… What can I say except… Woaw. Now Corona SDK is the big big competitor for 2D games. I was using Monkey X until now, or Unity3D (when the customer accept the plugin stuff…). Cannot wait to get more info.

7. David MEKERSA

Wanted to add that the HTML5 export will only be usable if it can call extern js… (like Monkey X allows). It will open Corona SDK to Facebook, web integration, etc. Otherwise, it will just a banner maker…

8. Terry

@David Mekersa:

I would argue there are at least a couple of seriously valuable use cases for this:

1) Embedding Corona apps (or more specifically samples) into your website. This creates a frictionless opportunity for an app publisher to give a potential customer a real taste of an application. This can be a better experience than producing a promotional video or worse, trying to get the potential customer to download and install a trial application (which is a costly effort for an app publisher.)

2) Embedding Corona apps into frameworks that deploy to desktop. There are many opportunities for Corona to become a useful development environment for desktops that come from this. I already confirmed that the example provided above can be deployed in a Macintosh application. This is exciting!

9. Aaron Isaksen

Hi Walter,

This is amazing and a huge step for Corona. Mobile apps are just a small part of the game market, and now we can develop apps for PC and Web using Corona. Congrats and I can not wait to see more!

-Aaron

10. Guy Stockwell

Wow, How soon will this be available and how do we become part of the beta?

11. RaxyMan

I asked about this capability on a different Corona forum here: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/45489-can-chrome-native-client-technology-be-used-with-coronalua/#entry238032.

Clearly I was in the wrong forum. Not even sure if this Corona SDK forum is the right one either, as Corona doesn’t support this yet.

My understanding is that Google built the Chrome Native Client technology as open source, so that would explain why it works on Safari. MS is a little slow out of the starting blocks with IE, but I don’t see why MS and Apple wouldn’t eventually support NaCl too – to keep up to the Jones’.

I LOVE the idea of being able to demo your apps directly on your own website – totally independent of downloading the app to Play Store of Apple Store! And also to let your users RUN Corona/Lua apps on the browser and OS of their choice!

And if MS is smart, support on Windows Phones should be right around the corner!

To me, this is closer to reaching the write-once-deploy-everywhere dream than Java! :)

12. David MEKERSA

Any chance to know the plan for the HTML5 support? Any release date, or at least an idea (Q3… Q4? Next year?).
    This kind of announcement without any planning is creating frustration for professional developers like me. I currently use Monkey X to deliver HTML5 game to my customers, while I’m mostly a Corona developer, I’d like to know if I need to continue with Monkey X…

13. yo

Just wondering what the status of this feature is. It was very exciting when it was announced. I haven’t heard anything since, so I felt it was worth a ping.