CoronaCards is cool. Here’s something even cooler!

HTML5
Share on Facebook0Share on Google+17Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn3

We think yesterday’s announcement of CoronaCards is a game changer. It changes the equation. Instead of a choice, it’s all of the above — you get to leverage Corona technology in any existing native app!

Now as hard as this is to believe, I want to give you a taste of something that’s even more exciting.

You may remember our “DebugDraw” sample app, as seen in a couple of the CoronaCards videos and as included in your Corona SDK installation.

Well, check this out (works best in Chrome on a desktop):

Yes, that’s what you think it is. A Corona app running in the browser. No plugins required. Enjoy!!!

[Update: Check browser support. IE11 has a bug we haven’t worked around yet. Finally, you may need to turn on WebGL, e.g. Safari users]

[Update 2: The above demo code is available on github, and also can be used in Corona-based native apps on iOS/Android]

walter

This entry has 59 replies

1. dingo says:

haha this is… awesome!! does this mean I can take an app like my game Grooh, and play it in the browser without modifying the source code?

2. Bruno Pinheiro says:

Well, THIS is awesome 🙂
    Now I can give it a chance!

3. Greg says:

That’s awesome! I take it you need Corona Cards to generate http://coronacards.com/html5/Corona_Physics.html ?

4. Erich Grüttner Díaz says:

OMG! Brilliant!
    Thank you for this guys!!!
    AMAZING!!!

5. develephant says:

Way. Too. Cool. 😀

6. Matt says:

Okay, this is ground breaking. How close to Windows 8 builds are we?

7. While CoronaCards sounds fantastic in its own right, web-based Corona apps is awesome sauce. Where can we sign up to beta this?

8. Lerg says:

OH MY GOD! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! FINALLY!
    THANK YOU! sorry for caps

9. Very cool! 🙂 It doesn’t run in Safari!?

• Scott says:

Seems to run fine in safari

• Doesn’t show up in Safari on 4 different systems.

• Walter says:

See update above. You have to turn on webGL in Safari to view.

10. Pablo Isidro says:

Awesome News!! Thankssss!!!

11. Alex says:

Based on the category of the post (see above), it seems this feature will be available only to Corona Enterprise…

• All I see is “Post Category: Corona SDK, News & Announcements” and “Post Tags: corona html5 javascript webgl,” so I’m not sure where you got the “Enterprise” from. The Enterprise ad below the blog post is shown in every other blog post, too.

• Alex says:

Raphael, the original breadcrumbs of the posting were: Blog Home ->Corona Enterprise->CoronaCards is cool. Here’s something even cooler!

Clearly someone updated after my comment… Glad to see it is not related to Enterprise.

12. Sergio says:

Love you Corona. s2

13. Kay says:

Wow. Seriously. When?

14. Yas says:

This is just great!

15. JesterXL says:

Awesome! It appears you’re using ECMAScripten to get efficient JS compiled from C that is compiled from Lua. However, if we now have HTML5 as a target, wouldn’t it be more efficient given the current industry trend just to start in JS and use the Corona suite of tools? The JS industry has really matured enough, especially in games, to help support the value of this compilation target.

16. Alex says:

Besides Chrome, did anyone get success running this sample in another browser? I tried IE9 and IE10 without success on Windows 8 (I am not with my Mac, which has Safari and Firefox, here). It did not worked on Safari iOS7.

• Hendri says:

Yup Safari 7.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.2

• Weird. I’m not getting anything to show up in my Safari 7.0.2. I’ve turned off all extensions and unchecked ‘stop plug-ins to save power’ and still nothing.

• Walter says:

See update above. You have to turn on webGL in Safari to view.

• Ime says:

Works on Opera Browser.

• works Firefox 27.0.1

17. Scott says:

Will this work with Bluetooth Game controllers? Also, can we do a larger caves like 1024 x 768?

18. Chris says:

Doesn’t show up in Safari

19. Lerg says:

Hey guys, I’ve made a web version of Cubic Run! Check this out!

• David says:

Nice!!

• Kerem says:

Amazing!!! How can we get in on this? Thanks

• CineTek says:

You need CoronaCards… At least this is what I think after reading the html source code… So Corona is running a closed beta for months again just like Graphics 2.0. It will take ages until we get access to it.

• David says:

CoronaCards is a different thing from this. Building to the web is just another option, like building to iOS or building to Android.

• CineTek says:

Thanks David! That is really great to hear. So how do we get access to this? Lerg was able to make a web version of his CubicRun – he must have used some kind beta-build if I am right

• David says:

We are working on it – like all software, we need to finish a few things first. Lerg doesn’t have official access actually. He seems to have reverse engineered it 🙂

20. thought that this was going to be the answer to my preiers
    works great on Firefox (Win 7), checked it out on Safari iOS7… and nothing
    you get the loading icon and then just an empty area

was hoping that this would give me a true mobile to desktop experience

• Walter says:

See update above. You have to turn on webGL in Safari to view.

• thanks, but I meant the iOS version of Safari, it doesnt support WebGL. I would love to be able to make web content that would show on desktop and mobile devices

• Walter says:

Apple actually does support WebGL under the hood on iOS, as you can use WebGL inside an iAd, but they haven’t exposed it anywhere else (in Safari or webviews in native apps).

Best thing to do is file a bug with Apple 🙂

• yes I’m sure they’ll get right on that! 🙂

21. Kerem says:

This is a great!!! Can think of 1001 ways to utilize this new capability. Thank you very much!!!

22. Lerg says:

Have you considered making a binary plugin to improve performance?

23. Wow again! That was unexpected. Now add Windows, Mac and Linux export support and you will be par with Unity 😛

24. Hum… What can I say except… Woaw. Now Corona SDK is the big big competitor for 2D games. I was using Monkey X until now, or Unity3D (when the customer accept the plugin stuff…). Cannot wait to get more info.

25. GreenCastle says:

Firefox users: if it doesn’t work go to about:config and make sure webgl.force-enabled is true. It defaults to false.

26. Greg says:

If only iOS Safari would support WebGL, we’d be set.

27. Ingemar says:

Now *THIS*, is cool!!!

28. JCH_APPLE says:

THIS is really amazing. Hope it will come soon it’s a real “plus” !

29. Steve says:

Does this mean we will be able to submit to the Chrome store?

30. Wanted to add that the HTML5 export will only be usable if it can call extern js… (like Monkey X allows). It will open Corona SDK to Facebook, web integration, etc. Otherwise, it will just a banner maker…

31. Terry says:

@David Mekersa:

I would argue there are at least a couple of seriously valuable use cases for this:

1) Embedding Corona apps (or more specifically samples) into your website. This creates a frictionless opportunity for an app publisher to give a potential customer a real taste of an application. This can be a better experience than producing a promotional video or worse, trying to get the potential customer to download and install a trial application (which is a costly effort for an app publisher.)

2) Embedding Corona apps into frameworks that deploy to desktop. There are many opportunities for Corona to become a useful development environment for desktops that come from this. I already confirmed that the example provided above can be deployed in a Macintosh application. This is exciting!

32. Hi Walter,

This is amazing and a huge step for Corona. Mobile apps are just a small part of the game market, and now we can develop apps for PC and Web using Corona. Congrats and I can not wait to see more!

-Aaron

33. Guy Stockwell says:

Wow, How soon will this be available and how do we become part of the beta?

34. danielnieto says:

Do you have some ETA on this export option???

35. RaxyMan says:

I asked about this capability on a different Corona forum here: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/45489-can-chrome-native-client-technology-be-used-with-coronalua/#entry238032.

Clearly I was in the wrong forum. Not even sure if this Corona SDK forum is the right one either, as Corona doesn’t support this yet.

My understanding is that Google built the Chrome Native Client technology as open source, so that would explain why it works on Safari. MS is a little slow out of the starting blocks with IE, but I don’t see why MS and Apple wouldn’t eventually support NaCl too – to keep up to the Jones’.

I LOVE the idea of being able to demo your apps directly on your own website – totally independent of downloading the app to Play Store of Apple Store! And also to let your users RUN Corona/Lua apps on the browser and OS of their choice!

And if MS is smart, support on Windows Phones should be right around the corner!

To me, this is closer to reaching the write-once-deploy-everywhere dream than Java! 🙂

36. Nathan says:

It sounds awesome, I will be trying it soon.

37. Any chance to know the plan for the HTML5 support? Any release date, or at least an idea (Q3… Q4? Next year?).
    This kind of announcement without any planning is creating frustration for professional developers like me. I currently use Monkey X to deliver HTML5 game to my customers, while I’m mostly a Corona developer, I’d like to know if I need to continue with Monkey X…

38. yo says:

Just wondering what the status of this feature is. It was very exciting when it was announced. I haven’t heard anything since, so I felt it was worth a ping.

39. Gary says:

I actually have huge plans in our app for this feature when it comes out. It’s really great.

Could someone give us a vague idea of when that might be?

Thanks in advance!