Episode 4 of this week’s Corona Geek On Air show is live!
This week we discuss the release notes from previous Corona SDK builds, answer some more newbie questions, talk about the proper way to free up memory when working with objects, take a look at the Corona Project Manager as a time saving development tool, share some device news, and close with a discussion on using JSON in the Corona SDK API.
Be sure to see the show notes below for a full list of topics and resources that were discussed during the show.
Thanks for watching,
- Brian Burton – Author of Mobile App Development with Corona: Getting Started
- Toff Ward – Developer / Geek / Gnome
- Charles McKeever – Developer / Gamer / Runner
If you are new to the conversation, the Corona SDK is a cross platform mobile development tool kit that makes it easy for developers to create native applications for Android and iOS devices as well as for Kindle, and Nook. You can find out more about the Corona SDK at http://www.CoronaLabs.com.
In this episode of the Corona Geek On Air Show we covered:
Daily Build Release Notes 900 thru 904
- Build 900 : Added client-side support for choosing iOS Beta SDKs in the build dialog when available.
- Build 900 : On large projects with lots of PNGs, dramatically decrease build times for “iPhone Developer” profiles by skipping XCode’s pngcrush step. Straight copy instead. On distribution builds (Ad Hoc or Store), we will continue to do pngcrush, as before.
- Build 903 : Added native.newMapView() support. (Supported on all Android devices, including Kindle Fire and Nook.)
- Build 903 : Android: Fixed bug where native display objects (ie: TextField, TextBox, WebView, etc.) have a “Top-Left” reference point by default instead of “Center” like on iOS.
- Build 904 : Changed behavior of native.newTextField event listener phases to be a closer match to iOS phases.
- How should I organize my project files? What is the best Corona project file structure to start out using? What are the “Standards”?
- Why do I have to create a rectangle and give it a fill color to have a background color?
CORONA BLOG HIGHTLIGHTS
- Properly removing objects and variables
- object = nil
- Is there a case where you would removeSelf() and not nil out the object?
- when should you nil out the object entirely?
- Corona Project Manager – CPM makes Corona SDK development faster, easier, and way more fun!
- iPhone 5 event on Sept 12, Wednesday / iOS 6 as well.
- iPad Mini Mockups? – Would you buy an iPad Mini?
- Near Field Communication (NFC) on Android, not on iPhone – what’s the story?
- Tutorial – Exploring JSON Usage in Corona